• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just received a letter from UHaul that my personal information from rental contracts was stolen. This likely includes my drivers license, address and DOB. It’s interesting that they stress that payment or credit card information was not taken, but credit card info is not nearly as valuable as a verified name, address, DOB, bonus drivers license info and probably my signature.

Consider that Stolen drivers license info sells for $20-$40 on the dark web vs $1 for a stolen credit card.

What is of great importance is the fact that the breech actually occurred starting in November 2021 through April 2022, but was not actually discovered until August 2022. So my personal information was likely stolen and sold on the dark web over 5-11 months ago.

This is why it’s absolutely critical that people lock their credit and constantly monitor their PII.

I already have my credit reports frozen on all 6 major services along with monitoring my info regularly. I have accessed Dark Web sites to search for breech files which have my or my families info too.

I’m actually inclined to just get a new DL, since they are issuing them with the new soundex number format anyway.

Here is the associated news story for those interested.

Honestly everyone should freeze their credit if you have not already done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I received the same. From previous breaches, you should expect that your info has been sold to an illegal and that they will assume your identity and likely commit crimes under your name (my experience, but I'm sure I'm not alone). Lock down your credit now and consider changing your name.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I received the same. From previous breaches, you should expect that your info has been sold to an illegal and that they will assume your identity and likely commit crimes under your name (my experience, but I'm sure I'm not alone). Lock down your credit now and consider changing your name.

Brother I’m already locked down.

I just wanted to point out how important it is to freeze your credit and keep it frozen all of the time and only release the freeze if you are applying for a loan and when you do release the freeze set a firm time limit for the freeze to automatically turn back on.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Brother I’m already locked down.

I just wanted to point out how important it is to freeze your credit and keep it frozen all of the time and only release the freeze if you are applying for a loan and when you do release the freeze set a firm time limit for the freeze to automatically turn back on.
    Smart man.

These data/ID thefts can turn into a lifelong nightmare. I spent the day in jail because of ID theft. Every day I never know what other BS might pop up as a result. I'm not even sure if changing my name will make a difference, but I told my wife that might be the answer. The worst part is that there's literally no way to resolve the issue/clear your name/reclaim your identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom