• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    The following email/letter is shamelessly stolen from another board I post in.

Email:

Dear Christian,

I respectfully disagree with your reasons for publishing the list of Concealed permit carriers, while you may harbor a grievance against guns and gun owners you have compromised the privacy of many law abiding individuals in your quest.

Since I think you are going to delete this email, I'm going to print out a copy and mail it to the address listed below, which I posted on-line in case other people want to contact you as well:

CHRISTIAN J TREJBAL
    675 SCHOOL LN
    CHRISTIANSBURG, VA 24073

P.S. I will also call you when I find and post your home and office numbers, but I work late so my calls may happen after midnight or at other strange hours of the night. Verizon-wireless service isn't that great , so if the phone keeps ringing or you just hear me breathing dont be alarmed.

-<very cool guy>

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    I am so glad that my permit has not come thru yet. They have all my info but have not issued permit yet. There is a reason we applied for a "concealed" permit. That way no one has to know who is and who is not "packing". And just because they have a permit does not mean they are packing at that moment. That was a stupid thing to do and I am looking forward to more of his personal info being put out there.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Update:

The Roanoke Times Removes Database of Handgun Permit Holders

March 12, 2007 — The Roanoke Times has decided to remove the online database of registered concealed handgun permit holders from its website.

The newspaper is requesting the Virginia State Police, which provided the information, verify the data.

“When we posted the information, we had every reason to believe that the data the State Police had supplied would comply with the statutes. But people have notified us that the list includes names that should not have been released,” said Debbie Meade, president and publisher of The Roanoke Times. “Out of a sense of caution and concern for the public we have decided to take the database off of our website.”

The database was posted on roanoke.com on Sunday as part of a New River Valley editorial page column about open records. This column, as well as others that will be published this week, is part of a special focus on Sunshine Week, a national initiative to raise awareness about open government and freedom of information.

Source: http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Sounds like they're trying to save face.

Morons.

I wonder how many people cancelled their subscriptions and how many people yanked their advertising? :D

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    newspaper editors are safer because of permit holders

On another gun site, a poster named Aristotle and I had the following exchange about this matter.

Aristotle wrote: I just sent Chris [Trejbal of the Roanoke Times] an email thanking him for publishing my name and home address. After doing so I got to thinking of just how stupid people can be. I am an anesthesiologist and every once in a long while I have a patient who right before I administer his/her anesthetic (and control every major aspect of his vital functions) says something insulting to me. I have always felt that this must be a particularly acute form of stupidity; after all, the one person that you don't want to irritate before you go to sleep for your surgery is the person who is going to be keeping you alive throughout the procedure. Chris seems to manifest the same peculiar type of stupidity. If you wanted to pick a group to irritate by publishing their names and addresses I would think that one of the very last groups would be people who own guns. I guess that Chris has never thought this deeply. Oh well.

I replied: I think that the publication of permit holders names and addresses is stupid and irresponsible for a number of reasons. The list is a resource to would-be gun thieves, and a potential aid to would-be armed robbers and violent stalkers. In fact, although I can't find it at the moment, I recently read an account of a businessman who was shot down by a robber in his parking lot after the businessman's name appeared on one such published list -- perhaps (who knows?) the robber figured the businessman had something worth stealing but had best be shot right off the bat.

Having said that, I find your comments incomprehensible, both with respect to your patients and with respect to gun owners. In fact, I think what you said is less defensible than what Mr. Trejbal wrote.

Presumably your bad-tempered patients feel they can express themselves as they will, because they secure in the belief that you are a licensed professional who will provide them exactly the same level of professional care no matter what your personal feelings about them. If they are wrong about that, then you are in the wrong line of work.

Like your patients, Mr. Trejbal can sleep easy, knowing that those who hold permits are those who have been found to have no proclivity for violence. They are, with the rarest exceptions, people who follow the rules and refuse to be provoked. Those who are irate with Mr. Trejbal for his irresponsibility pose no physical threat to him at all. Indeed, although Mr. Trejbal has apparently not yet figured it out, the hidden presence of permit holders in his community helps protect him and his family from predatory criminals every day of the year. (That is because, Mr. Trejbal, the criminal who sizes up your or your wife from across the darkened parking lot cannot know whether or not his possible prey is one of that minority of people who are licensed to carry a gun. The predator does not know -- and, he has no right to know.)

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Paper receives flak over gun list
    Threats of violence, litigation and legislation sprang up after a list of people allowed to carry concealed weapons was released.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/108536

"There were also some threatening comments directed at Trejbal that led the newspaper to place a security guard, at least temporarily, outside his Christiansburg house."

I wonder if the security guard was armed??

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I believe in cosmic justice.....you get what you give usually.

I suspect that the author will be haunted by the consequences of his actions for the rest of his years....likely he will be looking over his shoulder for quite some time and jumping at shadows....I feel for his family that will likely suffer as a result of his poor judgement for publishing the list.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Guys, I hate to say it, but I support the First just as much as I support the Second. Government records are and should be public. Just as the reported stated.

Open government laws arose from distrust of government. They guarantee citizens can watch what government does in their names, including issuing gun permits.

Now, don't get me wrong. A good and responsible journalist would have acquired the list, and then made an attempt to determine if any of the names on the list should have been denied a permit. That would have been a good story. A better story would have been to use the list to see if people where unjustly denied a CCW permit due to political views, race, or religion. That would have been a GREAT story.

What he did was to, basically, publish a list of names in some attempt to disgrace people he feels are nuts for wanting to, or even believing that, they can protect themselves. To criticize him for expressing his views on the First amendment, is just as bad as his attack on the Second.

Then again, my name is not on the list, so what do I know.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It had absolutely nothing to do with "government openness".

It was nothing less than an attempt to harrass and intimidate a group of people whom he dislikes. It was morally equivalent to publishing a list designed to "out" gays, or identify members of a particular political party, or reveal who belongs to a particular religious or ethnic group.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Guys, I hate to say it, but I support the First just as much as I support the Second. Government records are and should be public. Just as the reported stated.

Lemme get this straight, you think every record the government has on you should be publicly available?

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Every Public record, not covered by the Privacy act. Yes.

I mean, there public. And who would care if I have a CCW permit.

Crooks looking for guns? Well, I think if I was going to break into a house, I would be much more inclined that make sure the owner is not on that list. Then again, I'm not a crook.

My boss? My Doctor?

F*'em.

Then again, my name was NOT on the list, so what do I know.

spitzer

Mar 11, 2007
    St.Mary's County, MD
    I did not see this thread when I posted to the other thread about knowing your neighbor. There, I supplied CT’s addresses and a picture of him.

It seems that some unsavory characters are making his life miserable now. He thinks it is bad now, wait until the lawyers show up with the liability or class action suit(s). :D

I think he is cut from the same cloth as folks like Sen. Frosch, who truly believe that we are all just “nuts.” This new experience may prove to be as powerful an influence on his thinking as a mugging and may lead to his being persuaded of the need for armed self defense. After a few calls to the local police department result in 20 minute delays, five of which are waiting in cue for a conversation with the 911 operator, he may understand better why someone may need a personal self defense weapon.

I can almost hear him at the water cooler the morning after, “I could have died before they got there.” “There should be more cops on duty. What am I paying taxes for anyway?” Or at the end of the day, “Would you mind walking out to the car with me Sandy?”:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom