• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I picked up a 1974 Glenfield Model 60 the other week that cleaned up pretty well. I took it to the range and got the iron sights dialed in, but my eyes suck at 100 yards these days and I figured I'd shoot to find a decent little .22 scope of a similar vintage to throw on top of it.

I won a lot of 5 scopes off of ebay for less than $10/scope and figured I'd see what I came up with.

Here's what I know:

2 are Glenfield scopes. One is definitely Japanese, and the other is more than likely Japanese, though it's not marked as such. The design between the two is almost identical, but there are some differences (tube length, angle of the eyepiece narrowing to the tube, etc. I expect these are Glenfield Model 200c scopes, but trying to get a feel for what timeframe they were made is tough. One is definitely shorter than the other and I believe one is older than the other.

1 is a Westernfield scope sold by Montgomery Ward. I believe this to be a TASCO scope. It has that classic TASCO oval shape to the sight picture when looking through it. It is surprisingly clear. We know Wards stopped selling guns in the mid-1980s, so I would bet this was from just before then. Either the late 1970s or early 1980s.

1 is a Mossberg 4x scope (not pictured) in fantastic shape optics-wise. Japanese-made (maybe Nikon?). The barrel has the anodization scraped off just fore of the top turret. Some buffing and a little aluma-black and then a thorough polish ought to get her back in shape. This one will be saved for a vintage Mossberg slug gun later on.

The last one is a Weaver Marksman m3/4 x 4 made in the USA. The crosshair wires are "drooping" a bit to either side of the actual intersection, but at the intersection, everything seems to be true. I may try to fix this later on as Weavers are usually serviceable from what I've read.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about the vintage of these? I've pictured them below in the "as arrived" state. I'll do some cleanup this weekend, and then put the best of them on the Glenfield and go back to Cresap to get the scope dialed in.

The weaver:
    20240417_221044.jpg

20240417_221053.jpg

20240417_221111.jpg

The WesternField (Likely TASCO)

20240417_221408.jpg

20240417_221420.jpg

The two Glenfields:
    I think the one on the right is older.

20240417_221627.jpg

20240417_221640.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are these historic collectibles? ( Nothing wrong with that , and pretty cool .) Or something useful for actual shooting?

As a class , the 3/4 inch scopes made to a price point for package deals are all crap . The Weaver was probably purchased as an aftermarket upgrade .

For actual shooting, virtually any 1 inch scope is notably better than virtually any 3/4 inch , and tip off Grove mounts for 1 inch are commonly available.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Are these historic collectibles? ( Nothing wrong with that , and pretty cool .) Or something useful for actual shooting?

As a class , the 3/4 inch scopes made to a price point for package deals are all crap . The Weaver was probably purchased as an aftermarket upgrade .

For actual shooting, virtually any 1 inch scope is notably better than virtually any 3/4 inch , and tip off Grove mounts for 1 inch are commonly available.
    I picked up that Glenfield Model 60 the other week and thought it'd be fun to make one "period correct" and actually put one of these on it to shoot with, but only at the range. I've got other firearms and optics for serious stuff. Thought it'd be fun to show my son how it was when I was his age and using 1" scopes on .22s and air rifles in the mid-80s

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom