• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    lol, looking into boarding training for my little puppy monster here in the Frederick area before it’s too late.

IMG_0802.jpeg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Those are what they call British Labs. If you have an English, barrel chested, lab, they many times don't care to retrieve and have very little drive except to eat. They are show dogs, not driven hunting dogs. American Labs are highly driven and can be a lot for inexperienced home owners to deal with, but great for hunting, once you teach them to sit still until told to run.

You have to train the dog every day, several times is better. Short sessions all set for positive reactions and once done right the dog will live to have those training sessions. My dog now is 10 and retired and breaking out the training dummies is a reward, but she wears out fast. Negativity or anger in training and the dog won't want to be there and will not learn anything. I've set training back two weeks, when younger by getting upset.

Focus on sit and stay and basic obedience.
    Show your dog what to do. Don;t explain it to him as he can't understand you. People try and train dogs like children and you can't teach them the same way. But a dogs wants to listen and do what you want. Children do not.

I feel you on the daughter. Mine is 26 and still can't listen. I remember at 8 and getting her the first bow and trying to teach her and she knew more than me already, or so she told me.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Lots of shots fired and only 2 birds?
    (I'm assuming birding event)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    lol, looking into boarding training for my little puppy monster here in the Frederick area before it’s too late.

View attachment 449157
    Good Move. From my research, what they have learned by the time they're 15 months old, is about the level they hover around for the rest of their lives. you CAN train older dogs, but it is far more difficult and time-consuming and with a lower rate of success.

I had my rescue best friend trained very well down here in St Mary's. It's not cheap, but it's well worth it. He travels with me on work trips and having him focus and behave in hotels and in public - read distractions - and full recall off leash is priceless. Getting him there took two 7-day sessions about 2 months apart, with 'homework' in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom