• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Any suggestions for putting in a well water filtration system where my wife might let me turn the ice cube maker in our fridge on?

We have a cheap sediment filter that needs replaced by something that actually works and is low maintenance. Live in Cecil County so would prefer a local company. Self installed is not an option…don’t have the skill set.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If the major concern is the ice maker you could add an inline filter on the line going to the fridge. There should be a shutoff valve and a transition to a flex line going to the fridge. If you can turn a wrench you have the skills required to add a filter there. Take pics and go to a major hardware store.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Does the fridge have a filter built into it already? Many with ice/water in them do now.

As to what your wife will approve of, if she is like mine, no man can determine........

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    It’s sort of our water has a lot of sediment in it in general and the wife is OCD about that.

In addition I cleaned out the cheesy filter tonight and the crappy plastic wings on the valve broke off. I’m done with the cheap solution and want something better.

The fridge does have a filter but it won’t be useful until we get the overall brown water in the house fixed. This does in fact fall under the “no man can determine” category.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Depending on how simply or how hard a job. Got one like this installed about 30 years ago due to sediment and stuff. Never had a problem as long as I changed the filter about every 6 months. My well was about 275’ deep.

FCCA7669-83E0-49D0-AEAB-8C3EDE7B4819.jpeg

@squaregrouper

He’s our resident water/well guy
    Get the water tested (prior to any filtration) and let us know your findings. I will advise you on what to do from there.
    PLEASE ignore the people who tell you to buy XYZ without having any knowledge of what you're dealing with.
    I know a little bit about filtering water and have saved MDS members tens of thousands in unnecessary water treatment.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Get the water tested (prior to any filtration) and let us know your findings. I will advise you on what to do from there.
    PLEASE ignore the people who tell you to buy XYZ without having any knowledge of what you're dealing with.
    I know a little bit about filtering water and have saved MDS members tens of thousands in unnecessary water treatment.
    This is a great point. A family member was sold a very expensive filtration system without a real idea of what was going on. They didn't need that system and we jokingly did the math. They could have purchased over 100,000 water bottles with the money they spent on the system.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Do you have a recommendation for who to take the water sample to? I live near Port Deposit but work in White Marsh area so any thing in that corridor would work.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Not an easy fix. It is easier and cheaper to just get a pump to use 5gal bottled water for the ice maker.
    When I was on a well in PG, I built a water treatment system, it removed iron sulfate and calcium. Made better than City water. DIY price was over $3,ooo. An RO system under the sink may work, but if the calcium is too high in the well water you will still get white ice cubes.

Do you have a recommendation for who to take the water sample to? I live near Port Deposit but work in White Marsh area so any thing in that corridor would work.
    I don't know anyone up there. Take it to any well water treatment company and have them test it. We will then know the basics. Avoid having them come to your house. Those are salesmen who test water too.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    @squaregrouper could probably give you the exact advice, as its been a long time since I was certified for this work, but if you are going to do a full battery of tests and not just turbidity, you will want to run the faucet until the well pump activates, then take the sample. Put the sample in a cooler and get it to the testing facility within 24 hours. Lead tests should be taken from the kitchen faucet.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    After dealing with my house and Squaregroupers help then 3 other people all within 2 miles of my house I can agree that every house is different and you need the raw water tested
    I have a lot of iron and the stinky smell
    My setup is custom to deal with what is coming out of the ground here and so should yours
    I have :
    Sediment filter
    Stink tank bubbly thing
    Water softener
    and carbon filter

We even have the UV light thing from previous owner but water company says we don’t need it to pass the basic tests he did

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA

If you can’t find a local test lab, Penn State offers testing. Building my new house last year, I used mytapscore.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom