• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    http://www.wvago.gov/press.cfm?ID=827&fx=more

CHARLESTON – West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey announced today that West Virginia concealed handgun licenses will now qualify as an alternative to the background check requirements of the Brady Law. As a result, West Virginians with concealed handgun licenses (“CHL”) issued on or after June 4, 2014, will be exempted from undergoing additional background checks every time the license-holder seeks to purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer.

“We are proud to say West Virginia concealed handgun licensees now qualify for a benefit that has been secured by less than a majority of the 50 states,” Attorney General Morrisey explained. “This is a significant development for law-abiding gun owners in West Virginia who frequently contact our Office regarding the state’s ongoing efforts to qualify for the Brady exemption.”

The Attorney General’s Office worked closely with the West Virginia Legislature to secure the recent passage of H.B. 4186, which clarified West Virginia’s permitting process to ensure uniformity with federal law.

“It’s been my great pleasure to work hand-in-hand with many state lawmakers and citizens alike on this important issue.” Morrisey added. “The Office of the Attorney General will do everything in its power to protect the Second Amendment rights of West Virginians.”

For all permits issued on or after June 4, 2014, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) will now recognize the required background check associated with West Virginia’s concealed handgun licensing process as a sufficient alternative to regular background checks under the Brady Law. West Virginians with CHLs issued before the June 4, 2014, qualifying date must contact the sheriff of the county in which the license-holder is a resident in order to qualify their pre-existing permit as an alternative to the background check requirements of the federal law.

My pocket ignited from my wallet when I read this... :D

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Only on chls going forward. Other states already do that, the chl has a 'NTN' number that identifies you as a FBI vetted good guy.

Very much aware of that, but we will not be getting an NTN number or anything similar -- primarily because to have a permit in WV, you're already an "FBI vetted good guy".

The only reason our CHLs were not previously accepted is because the format of the law in WV did not meet the ATF's requirements for the exemption. The end result of the law did, but not the exact format they require. Because of those semantics, prior to today the CHLs "did not meet the requirement", even though they did. Hence why it is a simple update with a local Sheriff. My number will stay the same as it always has been since it was first issued almost a decade and a half ago, no NTN number or anything.

There are a number of folks in the EP that have already contacted the Sheriffs there to get more info on the update "process" for those of you folks reading this from the EP... check the WVCDL's FB for the results!

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    There are a number of folks in the EP that have already contacted the Sheriffs there to get more info on the update "process" for those of you folks reading this from the EP... check the WVCDL's FB for the results!

We finally got word from our AG, Patrick Morrisey, that for a permit to qualify for the exemption it has to be processed as a complete renewal (including NICS check, even though it's redundant) as well as the fee, which averages around $100 for a 5 year permit.

Worth it to keep the FBI's nose out of my purchasing bidness, lol! :innocent0

That said, the permit numbers will remain the same, there will be no additional NTN number (55 counties in WV, no standardized permit between 2 or more)... the DATE is the identifying factor. Additionally, while a 4473 has to be filled out for the FFL's records, it stops there. :cool:

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    We finally got word from our AG, Patrick Morrisey, that for a permit to qualify for the exemption it has to be processed as a complete renewal (including NICS check, even though it's redundant) as well as the fee, which averages around $100 for a 5 year permit.

Worth it to keep the FBI's nose out of my purchasing bidness, lol! :innocent0

That said, the permit numbers will remain the same, there will be no additional NTN number (55 counties in WV, no standardized permit between 2 or more)... the DATE is the identifying factor. Additionally, while a 4473 has to be filled out for the FFL's records, it stops there. :cool:

Meaning, fill out the paperwork and present a new CC class certificate?

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Meaning, fill out the paperwork and present a new CC class certificate?

Fill out the paperwork as in the minuscule amount required here for the CHL app?

Also, you do NOT have to present a new CC class certificate. There is no requirement to present a new certificate for every renewal. I use the one I took 10+ years ago. You still have to present proof, but it doesn't have to be new!

man it must be nice to live in America :party29:

Yeah, but you should see the sanitization process for my car when I have to cross the border to visit in MD... lol

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Fill out the paperwork as in the minuscule amount required here for the CHL app?

Also, you do NOT have to present a new CC class certificate. There is no requirement to present a new certificate for every renewal. I use the one I took 10+ years ago. You still have to present proof, but it doesn't have to be new!

Yeah, but you should see the sanitization process for my car when I have to cross the border to visit in MD... lol

it's true , there isn't much to fill out for the CHL, just one sheet. how many pages to buy a pistol in md again? and it only took 3 weeks to hear back for mine (MSP couldn't do that quick most of last year for regulated purchase).

I didn't even have to take a cc course, as my nra rso course met the requirements.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Just got my WV DL last week. Now to work on the CHL. Do I need to do any classes since I am ex-military and used to have a Florida CCW?

It depends, does your DD214 specifically state that you've received handgun instruction? Not merits, but training. It's semantics, but depending on the county they may or may not let it fly.

If nothing else, there are plenty of folks offering NRA Basic Pistol all over the state... have you checked out the WVCDL FB group? Plenty of folks offering the courses since we advocate education and training!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    It depends, does your DD214 specifically state that you've received handgun instruction? Not merits, but training. It's semantics, but depending on the county they may or may not let it fly.

If nothing else, there are plenty of folks offering NRA Basic Pistol all over the state... have you checked out the WVCDL FB group? Plenty of folks offering the courses since we advocate education and training!
    The US Navy gives instruction in boot camp for both rifle and pistol although you may never need it after that.
    I have had a couple of handgun courses over the years including PPITH and PPOTH and I am functioning as RO for the 2nd squad of Steel Challenge at Peacemaker. I have about 5-7 years of competitive shooting experience in just about every discipline there is from IDPA to 3-gun.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    The US Navy gives instruction in boot camp for both rifle and pistol although you may never need it after that.
    I have had a couple of handgun courses over the years including PPITH and PPOTH and I am functioning as RO for the 2nd squad of Steel Challenge at Peacemaker. I have about 5-7 years of competitive shooting experience in just about every discipline there is from IDPA to 3-gun.

If it doesn't specifically say "handgun training with live fire" on your DD214, it might not qualify. It doesn't matter what you and I know it entails, it's what the paper says... :rolleyes: We have been trying to get just the possession of your DD214 to qualify as well as get current service members and vets a free CHL, but it hasn't been a priority based on other bills we've been focusing on.

If you have the certificates for NRA Basic Pistol, NRA PPITH or PPOTH, you should be good to go...

If you look at the requirements (http://wvcdl.org/WVCCW.php), some other things will work... but you may either get turned away at the counter or denied from your application later, not sure if you'd get your application fee back in the latter case.

If you get turned away, make sure to let someone with the WVCDL know ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom