• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    As mentioned in another post...BP is my specialty and I'm likely the only shop in MD that specializes in it. Would be glad to help if you need it..and will certainly save you money over internet sales...
    Oh man, you’re the shop on Holly Neck. You may not remember me but back in 2015 I brought in a Hawken and a Kentucky from my house fire. I stored them since and still haven’t restored them but now retired I have time and pursing. So if i win this bid on an Uberti 1858 Remington, can you hook me up with powder, balls, cleaners, flask, etc?

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Just a few notes on what I remember when getting setup a few years ago.

Just get FFF BP for your Remington Navy.

Get a good measure and powder flask. I like the ones by Ted Cash

Get a couple good nipple wrenches and break the stock nipples loose before firing. The folks at Uberti must use a 12 ft cheater to tighten them. Consider anti-seize for the threads but may not be necessary.

Remington #10 caps seem to fit the stock nipples best.

Order stainless nipples from Track Of the Wolf that are designed for CCI #11 caps. CCI caps always seemed easier to find. Not sure now a days. I had to file the slot on one of the nipple wrenches for a good fit. Standard caps are fine but CCI magnums were more prevelant when I loaded up years ago. They both work fine with BP. Maybe theere is an accuracy difference but I just do it for fun.

Get some Bore Butter or similar non petroleum grease and lube the cylinder pin (On a colt it's called an arbor, I forget if same on the Remington). I have found the need to remove the cylinder and reapply more grease after a couple cylinder fulls unlike a Colt with the thicker ribbed arbor).

Round balls from say Hornady are .375. I have found larger diameter balls seal better and give you that thin shave ring of lead. For that you will need to go boutique like track of the wolf for that. I think I've used .376 and .380. At least on an Uberti Colt Navy I have. My Uberti Remington is a .44 cal. Hornady make more sizes in .44.

I like the felt wads and add some bore butter to them to seal the chamber.

I use a wooden dowel to seat the caps in the off chance the cap goes off I don't want a jet flame of BP searing my thumb. There is at least one pic online that taught be that.

In case you need to remove caps on live chambers, have a brass or wooden wedge of some kind to pry them off if they are tight.

All of the above is just what I learned. Not all of it is necessary as far as buying more stuff but I feel like it makes it more enjoyable.

Oh, have fun!
    Great tips? One question. I read about these nipple wrenches. Why would I need to remove the nipples? I mean if not changing to a different style.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Oh man, you’re the shop on Holly Neck. You may not remember me but back in 2015 I brought in a Hawken and a Kentucky from my house fire. I stored them since and still haven’t restored them but now retired I have time and pursing. So if i win this bid on an Uberti 1858 Remington, can you hook me up with powder, balls, cleaners, flask, etc?

That was the old owner, I've owned it since Nov '21. If you lose the bid...I have a mint one with a conversion cylinder and a gorgeous holster guaranteed to be less expensive than the one you're bidding on online. I have all the accessories though for a 1-stop shop, yes.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Great tips? One question. I read about these nipple wrenches. Why would I need to remove the nipples? I mean if not changing to a different style.

To clean them, it's that simple. If you don't want them to get seized and stuck in the gun forever or rusted in...that's why we remove them.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    That was the old owner, I've owned it since Nov '21. If you lose the bid...I have a mint one with a conversion cylinder and a gorgeous holster guaranteed to be less expensive than the one you're bidding on online. I have all the accessories though for a 1-stop shop, yes.
    Cool. Bid holding so far at 331. Will see what happens. Hours say you dont open till 2pm, is that right?

DAVIDMAGNUM

Oct 19, 2007
    Federalsburg
    "Ya, real bp is highly corrosive. This new stuff says way less corrosive and less smoky. Learning curve ahead, i just don’t want to explode the pistol."

Old wives tale. 777 and pyrodex are more corrosive than black. I have gone an entire cowboy shooting season with out a detail clean on Ruger Vaqeuros, 1873 toggle link Winchester, 1887 lever Winchester shotgun and assorted SXS. Ballistol and water spritzed and wiped down after the match. A good organic non petroleum based lube is needed. The corrosive properties came from early primer salts. Primers today, not so corrosive.

Ok contrarians...flame away.
    I couldn't agree more. What pitted and rusted so many firearms was usually a combination of mercuric or potassium chlorate primers, black powder residue, improper cleaning and the softer steel of the 19th century. With modern steel and primers black powder is not a problem. My 1873 Uberti/Winchester is very accurate with Swiss Black Powder. It is more accurate with Swiss Black Powder than any smokeless load I ever tried. I have put thousands of rounds of black powder through this rifle shooting lever action silhouette. The bore is pristine and cleaning is very easy. Fouling buildup? I have put 175 rounds of 44WCF with Swiss through the rifle with no cleaning until I was done. Accuracy does not drop off and at the end of the day the bore looks like a single fouling shot was taken. Just like with smokeless, load development , proper bullet alloy and bullet lube .

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Uberti Remington Navy .36. Always used FFFg 55grains in my Hawken, but this pistol is a whole new thing.
    I have a Colt 1851 Navy .36. I use Pyrodex P. Set a powder measure to 20 grains. Fibre wad between powder and bullet (.375 Hornady ball).
    Accurate and cleans up easily.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I read today onthe ‘net which we know is never wrong, that a BP pistol can remain loaded for years with no corrosion. Article said its only after firing that corrosion can occur. Sound right?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    While I’ve never tried it, I believe it. As was stated above, the corrosive aspect of modern BP is that it absorbs moisture very well. It’s that moisture that causes rust.

With a well fitting ball and cap (one that fits snug without having to pinch it), the chamber is pretty well sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom