• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The "real deal" (AKA Stand Oil), not the Home Improvement store chemical rubbish.
    I have a bottle almost full, but the cap is glued to the glass bottle neck threads, & it's an "Adult Proof push down & twist" type!
    I can push down & I can turn the outside but internally the ratchet just clicks no matter what I do.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've used vinegar and water to scrub old finishes off rifles. Maybe pour some full strength around the cap and wait a while? :shrug:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Actually, now that I think of it, oil paints are linseed oil and you use mineral spirits to clean up those.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Another thing that might work if that doesn't is to invert the bottle and immerse just the cap in some hot/ boiled water and let it soak for a bit to loosen the goo. Then maybe a couple goods taps before you take a spin on the cap

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not familiar with BLO, but have you tried turning the bottle upside down and soaking in some very hot water? Maybe it will re-activate the oil enough to loosen the lid.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The "real deal" (AKA Stand Oil), not the Home Improvement store chemical rubbish.
    I have a bottle almost full, but the cap is glued to the glass bottle neck threads, & it's an "Adult Proof push down & twist" type!
    I can push down & I can turn the outside but internally the ratchet just clicks no matter what I do.
    Warmed turpentine will loosen it up I bet.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    After experiencing spontaneous combustion w/BLO, I'd tread careful.
    One half drop in a little more of a bottle cap of BLO will thin it down to almost the consistency of a solvent.
    Its how you cut BLO to soak into a wood stock and to clean/oil it.
    With bees wax melted into it of course in a shoe polish or high hat musket tin if one was lucky enough to have one about.
    But yes your right trying to mainline the whole can would get some attention I bet for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom