What is the best pistol for IDPA / USP ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you have "short, stubby hands" then stay away from all the double action pistols. The trigger reach is just too far.

Glock isn't too bad for trigger reach, but grip angle may throw you off. S&W M&P is better than Glock for smaller hands, or human hands in general.

Among single actions, the 1911-A1 with the short trigger is an upgrade for smaller hands. The Browning Hi Power is a wonderful classic that fits smaller hands surprisingly well.

Also, look for a reversible magazine release, such as on the M&P and the newer Glocks. You may do better hitting the mag release with your trigger finger rather than your thumb.

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    I cant use something with a really thick grip, and I would like it to shoot flat and fast.

With that said can we narrow it down to three guns ?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

J.W.
    If money isn’t an option I saw a guy use an Alien once, but it’s a ton of money. Others would be the 320 TXG with a small frame module or a Glock with no backstop.

shamrock2600

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    Locals tend not to be as strict, but it's still a bad practice to knowingly come to a match with an illegal (rules-wise) gun.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    Makes sense and is perfectly reasonable. They must have practice there as well though, right? I'm not sure how any of that stuff works at AGC. Do they just leave stuff setup? Can anyone come over and setup themselves?

what gun do you have in mind?
    Canik Mete SF with a red dot and Glock 44(22lr caliber) with irons

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Makes sense and is perfectly reasonable. They must have practice there as well though, right? I'm not sure how any of that stuff works at AGC. Do they just leave stuff setup? Can anyone come over and setup themselves?

Canik Mete SF with a red dot and Glock 44(22lr caliber) with irons
    Stuff (targets and such) does not stay set up. It's set up for the match (by the participants).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What about obstacles? Are their target holders that move/swing as well?
    Most IDPA matches will have a swinger or two. While there is some utility in practicing them, the reality is that the strategy is almost always the same: figure out where it's going to have the most dwell time and make sure you aim your gun there when you trigger it.

AGC Action Shooting has practices twice a month on Thursdays. I'd encourage you to sign up for the newsletter to see when those are. The first is May 4 starting at 5:30PM.

You cannot just set up in the bays and start shooting on your own as an individual. They must be reserved by your club.

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    Most IDPA matches will have a swinger or two. While there is some utility in practicing them, the reality is that the strategy is almost always the same: figure out where it's going to have the most dwell time and make sure you aim your gun there when you trigger it.

AGC Action Shooting has practices twice a month on Thursdays. I'd encourage you to sign up for the newsletter to see when those are. The first is May 4 starting at 5:30PM.

You cannot just set up in the bays and start shooting on your own as an individual. They must be reserved by your club.
    Right but, at the AGC you must first get your draw from holster certification right ?
    I know three people that took that on line test and all missed the same question. Failed it and are in fear of trying again.
    I guess thats one reason the AGC keeps losing people. They go to other places that are less strict.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Right but, at the AGC you must first get your draw from holster certification right ?
    I know three people that took that on line test and all missed the same question. Failed it and are in fear of trying again.
    I guess thats one reason the AGC keeps losing people. They go to other places that are less strict.
    You do not need holster cert to participate in AGC action shooting events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom