Dec 26, 2012
    Elkridge
    This is mine. CS hatamoto
    ForumRunner_20130508_075415.jpg

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Dang you guys have some expensive knives! Knives are like guns, but you can buy them at a younger age and amass quite a collection later in life!

Well, you seem like a pretty squared away kid, and I like your thinking, but here's a "teachable moment."

I've collected lots of different things over the years from 19th century cameras, to early 20th century arts & crafts pottery, to wood block prints and I learned that quality costs and quality is worth having. That goes for collectible items as well as for stuff that you plan to use daily.

Knives and guns fall into this philosophy as well. I seem to have a small collection of knives, but most would be classified as users and I've accumulated them over many years. I've probably carried 95% of them in my pocket at some point. If I could afford to have "collectible" knives I expect that I could spend several thousand dollars in the next hour. :D

With guns, I'm not a collector. I'm a shooter. And quality is worth it there, too. I am a clay shooter and have two shotguns that cost me more than every other gun I've ever owned...combined. But, they're great guns, fit me well, and I expect that someone will inherit them from me.

So the bottom line here is...don't just buy stuff because you want a collection. I'd rather have one great knife, or a few great guns, that I enjoy using and will hold their value, more than a safe full of ho-hum stuff. Same thing for collectible/historic stuff. Buy the best you can - quality and condition matter. A friend told me once, "When you are considering adding something to your collection make one of your criteria - who will you sell it to?" Took me a while to figure out that was really good advice. I've never had any trouble selling anything and I've never done worse than breaking even.

So choose wisely. Do your research, look at what you can comfortably afford and then save more $$ until you can get a better one or something in better condition.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Well, you seem like a pretty squared away kid, and I like your thinking, but here's a "teachable moment."

I've collected lots of different things over the years from 19th century cameras, to early 20th century arts & crafts pottery, to wood block prints and I learned that quality costs and quality is worth having. That goes for collectible items as well as for stuff that you plan to use daily.

Knives and guns fall into this philosophy as well. I seem to have a small collection of knives, but most would be classified as users and I've accumulated them over many years. I've probably carried 95% of them in my pocket at some point. If I could afford to have "collectible" knives I expect that I could spend several thousand dollars in the next hour. :D

With guns, I'm not a collector. I'm a shooter. And quality is worth it there, too. I am a clay shooter and have two shotguns that cost me more than every other gun I've ever owned...combined. But, they're great guns, fit me well, and I expect that someone will inherit them from me.

So the bottom line here is...don't just buy stuff because you want a collection. I'd rather have one great knife, or a few great guns, that I enjoy using and will hold their value, more than a safe full of ho-hum stuff. Same thing for collectible/historic stuff. Buy the best you can - quality and condition matter. A friend told me once, "When you are considering adding something to your collection make one of your criteria - who will you sell it to?" Took me a while to figure out that was really good advice. I've never had any trouble selling anything and I've never done worse than breaking even.

So choose wisely. Do your research, look at what you can comfortably afford and then save more $$ until you can get a better one or something in better condition.

Well said, Ben. You can adopt me if it means I get your shotguns :D

My most expensive knife is my current edc, a benchmade Osborne contego. Best knife I've ever had, great edge, unbreakable lock. Paid $190 for it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Drucifer

Feb 15, 2010
    Catonsville, MD
    Bought a Spyderco Kopa with the dyed blue bone handle for approx $80 several years ago. I thought that was a lot of money.
    Now they are selling on ebay for $200-$300.

And last year I won a lot of Cold Steel knives for $200 on an online auction. Consisted of a Magnum Tanto IX (not San Mai), Kobun, triple-lock, safe keeper, and mini-tac. All have original sheaths, boxes, etc. :party29:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Dollar-wise: either my Swiss K31 Bayonet or a Benchmade Bone Collector folder.

Real value: A Glock Sawback that saved my life.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    A Benchmade Barrage w/ M390 blade. ~$180. I use my knives, so don't like to pay too much for them. The speed at which I lose an object seems to be directly related to the price I paid. I'd love to pick up a lefty Sebenza, but know I'd lose it the first day I carried it. That being said, my next knife will probably be a lefty Emerson Commander if I can find one.

Are there any good knife auction websites?

Last edited:

deercrazy82

Feb 20, 2012
    Riverdale, MD
    The most expensive knife I have is my BHK underground knife of the year think that was around $300. Recently bhk is all I been collecting and I am up to 10 of there custom knives. They normally range between $100-$200 i really like there knives and i like the fact that they will make you whatever you want and the quality is excellent and prices reasonable for a custom knife. But the knife I get the most use out of is my benchmade mini griptilian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom