What Kind of certs. will I need to purchase at a Show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If your DL doesn’t have your current address, you may supplement it with a government issued document that does, like a voter registration or property tax bill.

If you’re looking to buy in VA as a nonresident, state law requires you to have a second form of ID with your address as well.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If your DL doesn’t have your current address, you may supplement it with a government issued document that does, like a voter registration or property tax bill.

If you’re looking to buy in VA as a nonresident, state law requires you to have a second form of ID with your address as well.
    Keep this in mind as your DL alone won't cut it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

When did that VA law become a thing? I've never bought a long gun in VA but have also never heard of that

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    When did that VA law become a thing? I've never bought a long gun in VA but have also never heard of that
    Some time in the late 80s I think. It was after some non immigrant alien in another state got a DL with his hotel address, used it to buy a gun, and shot some people. I’m told that incident is the same reason for the VA law requiring a DL be at least 30 days old to buy firearms. The two forms of ID requirement got repealed for residents a few years ago, but it remains for nonresidents.

“5. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, rifles and shotguns may be purchased by persons who are citizens of the United States or persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence but residents of other states under the terms of subsections A and B upon furnishing the dealer with one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the person's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.”

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I found out when I went to the Cabelas in Gainesville to buy a shotgun and only had my license with me. I eventually pulled up my phone bill on my phone (which according to VA state law would've been sufficient) but they wouldn't accept that. Ended up leaving and buying it from Angler's in Annapolis.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Screenshot_20240117-155539~2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads