• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Not so long ago there was a collection of small bore rifles being sold in an online auction. In this catalog was a pair of rough looking rifles of a type I'd never seen before. Then last month I'm checking out another gun auction when I see another, this example in much better condition. Curiosity piqued, I set about to try and research what I'm looking at. As it turned out there was one great article available in the awesome UK based rifleman.org site, where there's much info on British small bore training rifles.
    -The rifle was a Barnett Ten-X, a post-war British under-lever design with a traditional round bolt. The lever is pushed forward to retract & eject the round and back forward to cock and seat a fresh round. Very different from the BSA and Vickers "Martini" designs. Barnett introduced them to the British market in 1948 with production numbers originally thought to hover around 250 but this example had a 321 SN. The rifleman.org article has an example with a 347 SN so it's looking more like around 350 were built before production halted. The original Parker Hale rear sight had been replaced with an American Wittek-Vaver (which I love, have one on a Winnie 52B).
    -My love of unusual, rare items had me all-in and it was mine for a very reasonable price, around what you'd expect to pay for a BSA 12/15, less than the premium BSA International that the Ten-X competed against. Picking up the shipping box I was startled as to how heavy it was. Not a lightweight. There were two versions sold: standard barrel @ 12 lbs and a heavy barrel version @ 14 lbs. This one is the standard version.
    -Early barrels were Parkerfied but later examples, like mine, were built by the Phoenix Rifle Repair Co of Birmingham.
    -For the longest time I've passed on BSA Martini rifles, just not a fan for whatever reason. But this puppy definitely pulls my trigger and has me bidding on a rare-on-this-side-of-the-pond thirties vintage Vickers Martini. We'll see how that pans out.
    -Barnett never exported these and I'm guessing that it was purchased in-country by an American and brought home (maybe a serviceman?). There are no export marks, which supports this theory.
    -

Attachments

• IMGP0021.JPG
      IMGP0021.JPG
      123 KB · Views: 74
    • IMGP0022.JPG
      IMGP0022.JPG
      181 KB · Views: 64
    • IMGP0023.JPG
      IMGP0023.JPG
      205.1 KB · Views: 70
    • IMGP0024.JPG
      IMGP0024.JPG
      187.1 KB · Views: 64
    • IMGP0026.JPG
      IMGP0026.JPG
      255.7 KB · Views: 60
    • IMGP0027.JPG
      IMGP0027.JPG
      324.1 KB · Views: 60
    • IMGP0028.JPG
      IMGP0028.JPG
      352.7 KB · Views: 63
    • IMGP0029.JPG
      IMGP0029.JPG
      358.2 KB · Views: 69
    • IMGP0031.JPG
      IMGP0031.JPG
      270.4 KB · Views: 71
    • IMGP0020.JPG
      IMGP0020.JPG
      143.1 KB · Views: 74

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I've never been too interested in purpose-built target rifles, this is certainly neat though. Now ya gotta shoot it.

Jul 1, 2012
    Pretty nifty (design and condition)! Maybe the serial numbers started at 100 :)
    Wouldn't be the first to start production at other than 1 (Whitney Wolverine took that to the extreme at 100,000).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Hadn't thought of that, shame on me. Totally forgot about the Whitney Wolverine saga which kinda reminds me of Preston Tucker and his Torpedo.

PNW SKIPPER

Feb 19, 2024
    Richland, WA
    Just purchased one of these at an auction in CO. Won't have it in hand for about 6 weeks. Assuming you have shot yours, I would be interested in any performance notes, insights, cautions, etc that you would care to share. It's not like it will arrive with an owners manual! Also, I have started putting together a spread sheet on all of these rifles I can find info on on line. Let me know if you would be interested in a copy.
    Full Rifle Left Side.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I don't think I've ever seen any two of these in the same furniture. Lots of customization or replacement wood abounds. I'm willing to bet you could make nice coin getting your custom stock scanned for duplication. Probably the nicest stick attached to a Barnett that I've seen.
    Haven't gotten mine to the range yet, one of these days. Just too many neat .22s in the safe to choose from, all vying for my attention.
    Definitely interested in a copy of your dBase of these.

PNW SKIPPER

Feb 19, 2024
    Richland, WA
    I don't think I've ever seen any two of these in the same furniture. Lots of customization or replacement wood abounds. I'm willing to bet you could make nice coin getting your custom stock scanned for duplication. Probably the nicest stick attached to a Barnett that I've seen.
    Haven't gotten mine to the range yet, one of these days. Just too many neat .22s in the safe to choose from, all vying for my attention.
    Definitely interested in a copy of your dBase of these.
    I understand the dilemma! Collecting unusual .22's is my addiction, or as my wife says, my sickness. Have been fortunate to host several, including Gersley & Pierson rifles with left handed actions, a Niedner sporter based on a Win 52 action, and both Win 52 & Rem 37 builds by Karl Kenyon.

I will send on the spread sheet when I hear back from about 6 more enquiries. The first response was interesting... he didn't remember ever owning a Barnett Ten-X, though he had posted about it, with pics, in 2011 & 2015. I guess we all grow older!

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I understand the dilemma! Collecting unusual .22's is my addiction, or as my wife says, my sickness. Have been fortunate to host several, including Gersley & Pierson rifles with left handed actions, a Niedner sporter based on a Win 52 action, and both Win 52 & Rem 37 builds by Karl Kenyon.

I will send on the spread sheet when I hear back from about 6 more enquiries. The first response was interesting... he didn't remember ever owning a Barnett Ten-X, though he had posted about it, with pics, in 2011 & 2015. I guess we all grow older!
    I’d love to see some pics of these, if you’re so inclined.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm unfamiliar with them, sorry.
    "Ten X" refers to "pefect" X ring scores, all 10 in the X-Ring. In small bore you have 10 small targets on one large card & fire one round on each. The X-ring (scoring 10.1, but ONLY for a tie breaker) is "a GBH" very small measurement over .22"
    Remember the old "Eley Tenex" rounds?

The only thing I can add is regarding the weights.
    there were 3 "classes" for .22 bullseye, one of the things determining which class was over all weight. A lot of that came from the "phone pole" Heavy & extra heavy barrels.
    IIRC they 3 were under 9Lbs, all up, Under 11Lbs all up, & Under 13 Lbs all up.

Last edited:

PNW SKIPPER

Feb 19, 2024
    Richland, WA
    I'm unfamiliar with them, sorry.
    "Ten X" refers to "pefect" X ring scores, all 10in the X-Ring. In small bore you have 10 small targets on one large card & fire one round on each. The X-ring (scoring 10.1, but ONLY for a tie breaker) is "a GBH" very small measurement over .22"
    Remember the old "Eley Tenex" rounds?

The only thing I can add is regarding the weights.
    there were 3 "classes" for .22 bullseye, one of the things determining which class was over all weight. A lot of that came from the "phone pole" Heavy & extra heavy barrels.
    IIRC they 3 were under 9Lbs, all up, Under 11Lbs all up, & Under 13 Lbs all up.
    Thanks

PNW SKIPPER

Feb 19, 2024
    Richland, WA
    This is a .22LR target rifle built by Norman Gersley of New Rochelle, NJ in January of 1957. This is one of 10 rifles he built, 1 of 2 with left hand bolt and left hand feed. Eric Johnson 5 star, 8 groove barrel, 28" in length (Marked 1389 1/31/57 on underside), Canjar adjustable trigger, custom made picatinny rail for scope mounting, custom stock. Rifle weighs 14.75 pounds and was restocked by Doan Trevor. Gersley was a machinist who liked to dabble in all things mechanical. He was egged on to build a more rigid action by Rans Triggs who shot out of the Madison Rifle Club in NJ, and who was one of the country's best smallbore shooters at the time. As you can see from the photo of the action it is a massive receiver. The bolt is from a Winchester Model 52 and the Canjar trigger is modified to work with the receiver and bolt.
    Gersley L.jpg
    Gersley R.jpg
    20211119_154042.jpg

PNW SKIPPER

Feb 19, 2024
    Richland, WA
    This is a Clifford C. Pierson left handed smallbore target rifle built in the late 1950’s. Clifford Pierson was a notable smallbore shooter and rifle builder. He set National Records with this rifle and it later passed to Larry Moore who both shot this rifle and wrote about it in a January 1958 American Rifleman article, "A Problem In Match Equipment." The action appears to be a left-handed copy of contemporaneous Anschutz Match 54 actions, at a time that Anschutz did not yet offer a left hand option. The barrel is an Eric Johnson, the scope is a 2 inch 15x Unertl. The trigger is unmarked and breaks crisply at 1 pound. It could be a Pierson, Smith, or Wright Allen. The top of the stock's cheek piece has been fitted with an alternate, fabricated to allow this right handed shooter to use the rifle more comfortably
    Pierson L.jpg
    Pierson R.jpg
    Pierson 2.jpg

Attachments

• Pierson L.jpg
      Pierson L.jpg
      239.5 KB · Views: 14

PNW SKIPPER

Feb 19, 2024
    Richland, WA
    This is a custom Niedner Rifle Corp Sporter in .22LR, built in 1933. It is based on a Winchester Model 52 action. The barrel is numbered 948 which corresponds to the range of production specified by Michael Petrov for 1932 in his article on Niedner. The scope mounts are milled into the receiver and fitted with a Carl Ziess Zielklein 2.25 x22 mm scope. The stock is unmarked, but appears to be the work of Thomas Shelhamer.
    pix237424864.jpg
    pix487859657.jpg
    pix576451714.jpg
    pix500562462.jpg
    pix420136981.jpg
    pix645835863.jpg
    pix408918548.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members