• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Yeah... yeah... :D

Seriously, though. What do you use to lubricate your folding knives? I'm using a CRK fluorescent greese or simple synthetic motor oil. Motor oil usually on knives that are difficult to take apart.

:thumbsup:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Kinda personal, no? I'm not sure that what kind of lube I prefer is any of your business...:rolleyes: :D

I use Montana Extreme products to clean my guns and have their lubricating oil. Doesn't have any Teflon in it so there's no visible surface residue. Seems to work well on knives, too.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I use either Graphite or TRC NLGI #2 Crown and Chassis grease

Usually graphite because it is dry and doesn't pick up pocket lint like liquids do.

If your knife is tough to open a 50/50 mix of anti-seize and Mobil 1 5w-20 works good. (thin coat). It stays put, super slippery and the anti-seize over time will micro polish the burrs that cause rough opening.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I like Tri-Flow, usually marketed for bicycles. Learned about it at work from an experienced maintenance guy. It can be messy but it works very well and doesn't smell as bad (purely opinion) as many other machine lubricants.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I use either Graphite or TRC NLGI #2 Crown and Chassis grease

Usually graphite because it is dry and doesn't pick up pocket lint like liquids do.

If your knife is tough to open a 50/50 mix of anti-seize and Mobil 1 5w-20 works good. (thin coat). It stays put, super slippery and the anti-seize over time will micro polish the burrs that cause rough opening.

The only graphite I use is off a pencil lead that I rub on either the lock top or blade tang to prevent sticking.

Interesting recommendation on the 50/50 mix. Thanks.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    CRK uses and sells a fluoropolymer grease that is similar to Tetra Gun Grease, and acts as a semi-dry lubricant. CRK uses perforated PB washers to make an enclosed system in which grease is retained inside of the holes inside of the washers despite whatever the knife may see, including being submerged. This results in no need to disassemble the knife for months or even years and therefore a grease that does not break down easily is ideal. IMO it's one of the greatest innovations seen in a long time. The fluoropolymer middle-weight greases, which tend to be among the best against the elements, was his choice and if it was good enough for Chris Reeve, it's good enough for me. I took my Umnumzaan apart after 2 years of use including saltwater usage. There was still sufficient lube inside of the washers. I use it on firearms and knives, and have found it to perform exceptionally well.

For a true dry lubricant, I use TuffGlide...great stuff but it serves a slightly different purpose. Dry lubes often get a bad name because they are used incorrectly.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    If you use the knife for food prep I would think I would be looking a food grade grease.
    I have some grease called NEVASTANE it is a food grade grease that I use at work on domestic water valves . It is a high quality product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom