• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    After speaking to a few people over the past few weeks when it's come to reloading it's come to my attention anything digital is the devil and should be avoided as much as possible. The only exception is a set of quality digital calipers. My question, after seeing a wonky beam scale in action (even threw the owner) has me contemplating going digital or just getting another manufacturer. Is there any reason to avoid the digital market when it comes to powder? Some of the concerns I'm reading seem to be based on strong paranoia more so than fact. Keep in mind that this setup will be run in a basement where the temperature is pretty constant. I'm not in front of any windows or vents that would cause awkward temperature spikes, though I do understand electronic scales do have a warm up period prior to each use.

Another question is in regards to surrounding electronics being near/on the bench. I was planning on lugging my laptop with me so I could have a live reference to hand load data. For years I was the person to work with notebooks (and still do for certain things) for notes, but being an engineer by trade Excel is my friend and I spreadsheet data to no end. If I could grab my laptop or setup a bench box from something I have sitting around I feel like I'd be more productive and cautious with my notes, but that's me. I do get that a monitor and a power supply generate magnetic fields that can throw off scales, so if I do find a reason to skip beam scales and go digital this is something else I need to keep in mind.

Just thinking out loud while ordering reloading bits and planning my bench setup.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I use electronic devices all the time, when it comes to tools I also have non electronic backups when possible.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Don't buy cheap electronic scales. Get one that plugs in and has a battery backup, not one that exclusively runs on batteries. Keep them away from fluorescent lighting. Use a surge suppressor. And don't drop anything heavy on it.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    How far away from the fluorescent lighting? I was thinking of adding a strip of LED's under the shelf for additional lighting, but there is a power supply I'll have to deal with. Probably putting a bank of T8's or T5's with their LED replacement bulbs hanging from the ceiling for general utility lighting since I have jack right now that's useful in the basement.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How far away from the fluorescent lighting? I was thinking of adding a strip of LED's under the shelf for additional lighting, but there is a power supply I'll have to deal with. Probably putting a bank of T8's or T5's with their LED replacement bulbs hanging from the ceiling for general utility lighting since I have jack right now that's useful in the basement.

LEDs are not fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lights use a ballast and do funny things to electronic scales. LEDs don't create this problem.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I gave up on cheap digital calipers, they just wouldn't hold zero. Cheap analog calipers work just fine.

Always had an analog scale, it seems to work fine too.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I use a Pact Electronic scale. I checked its consistency and precision against my Ohaus and checks against calibration weight. Matched it. Beats waiting for the beam to stop moving, especially when weighing bullets, even with a magnetically dampened beam.

The articles were interesting, but even 3rd decimal magnitude on gram scale is 1/6 of one tenth grain weight. Interesting was the 2.9 grain drift in the second article. Much was relevent to any scale.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    After speaking to a few people over the past few weeks when it's come to reloading it's come to my attention anything digital is the devil and should be avoided as much as possible. The only exception is a set of quality digital calipers. My question, after seeing a wonky beam scale in action (even threw the owner) has me contemplating going digital or just getting another manufacturer. Is there any reason to avoid the digital market when it comes to powder? Some of the concerns I'm reading seem to be based on strong paranoia more so than fact. Keep in mind that this setup will be run in a basement where the temperature is pretty constant. I'm not in front of any windows or vents that would cause awkward temperature spikes, though I do understand electronic scales do have a warm up period prior to each use.

Another question is in regards to surrounding electronics being near/on the bench. I was planning on lugging my laptop with me so I could have a live reference to hand load data. For years I was the person to work with notebooks (and still do for certain things) for notes, but being an engineer by trade Excel is my friend and I spreadsheet data to no end. If I could grab my laptop or setup a bench box from something I have sitting around I feel like I'd be more productive and cautious with my notes, but that's me. I do get that a monitor and a power supply generate magnetic fields that can throw off scales, so if I do find a reason to skip beam scales and go digital this is something else I need to keep in mind.

Just thinking out loud while ordering reloading bits and planning my bench setup.

Just a heads up for the OP and everybody else that is following this thread, I just got off the phone with Dillon (Ron answered the phone about 15 minutes before closing time) about the issues I was having. I explained what happened and they gave me an RMA and will either recalibrate under warranty or just send me a new one as a warranty replacement. Because I had placed an order with them, they already had my address and email, so it was easy for them to track down what I had.

As usual, excellent customer service from Dillon. Also let them know that 2A Guys and Gear did a 550 review video.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Digital is fine as long as you have a manual backup/crosscheck. All digital and you are one EMP or TEOTWAWKI away from throwing stones. Periodically cross check your instruments so you know there is no drift and use whichever you like. A set of check weights is also a good idea and don't forget to run a print out of your spread sheets for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom