• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I don't reload but I do like to shoot my revolvers. Lately I noticed most ammo for 38 SW is now 125 g vs 158g. Why ? I know one of my revolvers says something about the round needing to be at least 125 g, so I figure it's a problem in a 357 round. I also talked with a guy at the range that claimed the 125 g SW shot 4" low thru his guns. Any insight ??

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Manufacturing production runs....

Manufacturers switch between bullets and create so much ammo to that specification, and then switch to something else.
    The same could be said for the bullet manufacturers.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    All of these probably apply, kind of sucks though. I just used my last box of SWC 3d reloads marked $3.95 for a box of 50.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    It doesn’t exactly answer your question but if I remember correctly under 125grs (usually 110gr) there is a possibility of gas getting ahead of the bullet because of less bearing surface on the cone and gap.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Probably for less felt recoil since most revolvers sold and carried these days are small J framed rather than service sized K frames.

Yes, they will tend to shoot lower than 158gr since the gun recoils less before the bullet with less recoil impulse leaves the muzzle.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Also a lot of .45 Colt loaded with 200 grain bullets instead of the traditional 255 grain. If all you are doing is punching paper, ringing steel or making noise, the manufacturer saves some money.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have been using 125 gr. rounds in my K frame snubby for almost 50 years but have never really checked the POI vs. POA.

Now that my curiosity has been tickled, I will have to check that on the next trip to the pistol range.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It doesn’t exactly answer your question but if I remember correctly under 125grs (usually 110gr) there is a possibility of gas getting ahead of the bullet because of less bearing surface on the cone and gap.
    Thanks, did not know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom