• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Cancel the order! Thats a rebarreled 59/66 with grenade launcher removed. It's been refurbed, not unissued. False advertising.

I would spend a dime over 250 for that as a shooter. Zero collector value there. Should have checked in here first before you bought it. I believe it's a poor investment.

My .02

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Dang, that is disappointing. I will call and cancel and ask them about that. I guess I should have posted something here first...Thanks for the info!

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Cancel the order! Thats a rebarreled 59/66 with grenade launcher removed. It's been refurbed, not unissued. False advertising.

I would spend a dime over 250 for that as a shooter. Zero collector value there. Should have checked in here first before you bought it. I believe it's a poor investment.

My .02

M44 good to go? I need one and my damn C&R isn't here yet!

Anyone know the least expensive place to transfer a long gun?

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    samco still lists excellent condition ones, but for $470.

if you look around gunbroker you may find a nice one for a good deal.

or you could get one from family firearms and finishes, hes a sponsor over at surplusrifleforum.com his thread says hes still got 4 handpicked all matching guns in.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=124931

hes a great guy, and he only sells top knotch stuff, you pay a little more than the big retailers charge, but he sells only the best stuff that he personally handpicks from places like AIM and SOG.

actually surprisingly his price is $10 less than samco right now.

just be careful if you give him a call, hes known to drag you in and chew your ear off for a good while when you talk to him, hes a collector like us and just as passionate as anyone.

i know its another $70 over what you were gonna pay, but in the long run, quality is more important than price, within reason, you will never regret paying a bit more to be sure you get a nicer gun.

M44 good to go? I need one and my damn C&R isn't here yet!

Anyone know the least expensive place to transfer a long gun?

depends where you are, saving $10 if you drive far isnt really saving anything, check the IP section, lots of great folks.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park

My .02

How can u tell they are re barreled?

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    depends where you are, saving $10 if you drive far isnt really saving anything, check the IP section, lots of great folks.

But I have a prius... I can go 55 miles on $3.29!

EDIT: Ordered. If they lied about this one too someone let me know. Not sure but yellowsled may have eagle-eyes.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    But I have a prius... I can go 55 miles on $3.29!

EDIT: Ordered. If they lied about this one too someone let me know. Not sure but yellowsled may have eagle-eyes.

Randy - You're driving everyone on the next road trip. Can that thing pull a camper? :lol:

Sled has more than eagle eyes. He knows his stuff. There are some exceptionally savvy folks around here.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I've seen some images of people getting them, also note the gas shut off valve still attached and no grenade launcher. Word on the street is that those sks's were refurbed for export. They may shoot just fine, but most hold no collector value to them. I don't. For that price I would get a newer production norinco with chrome bore. There is some collector value there at least as it would be in original condition.

M44 is gtg.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    This has been discussed in depth here and on sksboards before.

They're NOT M59's. They are M59/66's, re-barrelled (with an incorrect barrel, at that), with the grenade launching extension and the ladder sight removed. They didn't even bother to remove and replace the gas switch with an original-looking gas block.

They are FrankenSKS's, not worth the money unless you're desperate to have any SKS, right now.

It is a black mark upon Widener's for even pushing these.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    This has been discussed in depth here and on sksboards before.

They're NOT M59's. They are M59/66's, re-barrelled (with an incorrect barrel, at that), with the grenade launching extension and the ladder sight removed. They didn't even bother to remove and replace the gas switch with an original-looking gas block.

They are FrankenSKS's, not worth the money unless you're desperate to have any SKS, right now.

It is a black mark upon Widener's for even pushing these.

I am in my phone so I didn't want to type a huge message, but this is right. They scream bubba.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I sent them an email last night and they quickly deleted the rifle from my order. I am a bit disappointed with Wideners now. I was told they were a nice company to deal with. I have ordered a bit of stuff from them in the past with no issues whatsoever. Which begs to ask if Yellowsled and others can tell just by the images and description they are bogus; why didn't Wideners sales/buying staff know this? Intentional or an oversight?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Widener's has a good reputation, but I get the impression maybe they were misled themselves by whatever source they got these SKS's from. Maybe they just lack someone with the experience to tell the genuine article from a re-build.

In any case, with today's firearms market being what it is, some people might be more than happy being able to get an SKS at all. If that's your goal, $395 may not be such a bad deal. But to a collector who wants to add a genuine M59 to their collection, these are a "pass".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom