• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Friend of mine who I helped with their wearing carry application received a letter from the Maryland department of public safety yesterday with information that a background check had been done and that fingerprints had been forwarded. Is that normal?
    Yes. Letter comes from CJIS and tells them the results of their fingerprint search. Not indicative of status of HGP process. I didn't get my CJIS letter until I'd had my permit for a week.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Tell your friend to join MDS and MSI and send an added donation to MSI to help fight SB 1.
    Friend of mine who I helped with their wearing carry application received a letter from the Maryland department of public safety yesterday with information that a background check had been done and that fingerprints had been forwarded. Is that normal?
    Tell your friend to join MDS and MSI and send an added donation to MSI to help fight SB 1.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Yes, that is the applicant's copy of the CJIS letter.

Use the search function and search for "CJIS letter" in this thread and you will find all about it. (You can find the answers to many other permit related questions this way, also.)

Yes, that is the applicant's copy of the CJIS letter.

Use the search function and search for "CJIS letter" in this thread and you will find all about it. (You can find the answers to many other permit related questions this way, also.)
    Thanks. He really needs to join MDS himself but I think he's a little leery. He's old and cantankerous and a bit of a curmudge in like me. I've talked about MDS many times to him and I may have scared him away lol.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks. He really needs to join MDS himself but I think he's a little leery. He's old and cantankerous and a bit of a curmudge in like me. I've talked about MDS many times to him and I may have scared him away lol.
    Old curmudgeons fit in well around here says the grumpy old man.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    5/4 assigned for investigation
    5/13 final disposition approved in portal message.

So how is the actual permit issued as I'm going in for surgery the end of this month?
    Uh oh. You didn’t know surgery is a disqualifying event?

J/k. They will mail you the actual permit.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you go into the portal and hit print, you can scroll all the to the last page and you will see your permit number.
    Please post it. Xx the last two digits.

mailing it is the only way they give them out. You can’t pick it up.
    If it gets lost, you will need to wait 30 days from the approval before you request a replacement card.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    If you go into the portal and hit print, you can scroll all the to the last page and you will see your permit number.
    Please post it. Xx the last two digits.

mailing it is the only way they give them out. You can’t pick it up.
    If it gets lost, you will need to wait 30 days from the approval before you request a replacement card.
    Great now I guess armed with that number I can start applying for out of state ones to gain reciprocity.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Great now I guess armed with that number I can start applying for out of state ones to gain reciprocity.
    Nope, you need it in hand. PA, for example, wants you to upload a copy of the permit.
    Post up the number with the last 2 digits XX's out.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    So what do the carry permit numbers look like a year after Bruen? Are we at 200K in new permit holders in a year? I submitted the day that the last gov relented Around 40 days total till it was in my hand.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So what do the carry permit numbers look like a year after Bruen? Are we at 200K in new permit holders in a year? I submitted the day that the last gov relented Around 40 days total till it was in my hand.
    We have until the 23rd to be one year. We are at around 165,000 total permits which means IIRC about 125,000 since Bruen.

AbolishTheNFA

Mar 12, 2024
    Frederick
    So I just submitted an application from an October 11 2022 class from IOTA for a handgun permit due to the fact that they did not give me clear instructions for filling out the form. It was the end of the day and the class had run over time. They did not tell me I had to upload my documents myself while they had each and every other person do theirs during the class. What are the chances I just wasted the application money? My state background check was completed a few months after the class. I was left with the impression that they would also have been submitting my photo, fingerprints, and training certification. At the time my wife was pregnant and then had to learn to live with a newborn leaving me with little free time to check up on this.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    So I just submitted an application from an October 11 2022 class from IOTA for a handgun permit due to the fact that they did not give me clear instructions for filling out the form. It was the end of the day and the class had run over time. They did not tell me I had to upload my documents myself while they had each and every other person do theirs during the class. What are the chances I just wasted the application money? My state background check was completed a few months after the class. I was left with the impression that they would also have been submitting my photo, fingerprints, and training certification. At the time my wife was pregnant and then had to learn to live with a newborn leaving me with little free time to check up on this.
    ???

State background check? For what?

You should still be able to complete your application

Have you the finger print info?

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033