• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I have been reading conflicting stories throughout the interwebz regarding gas systems for SBR's. Will reliability increase the longer the gas system is? I have heard pistol gas systems cause problems with short stroking and FTF. With my 10.5" I am leaning towards a carbine gas system for my rifle. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Z

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Yes, carbine gas on a 10.5

ETA: I dont ever recall seeing a pistol length gas system on a 10.5 now that I think about it.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, carbine gas on a 10.5

ETA: I dont ever recall seeing a pistol length gas system on a 10.5 now that I think about it.

I was looking through some barrels and found the only 10.5" in stock at the moment (go figure) was listed as a pistol length system. Reading about this stuff is making me second guess my decision to go with a 10.5 instead of an 11.5 but oh well.

-Z

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    10.5's are fairly popular. Nothing wrong with that choice. There are benefits to longer SBR's like velocity and bullet fragmentation but if those things do not concern you then the differences are negligible.

10.5's rock!

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    You do have fairly short dwell time with a 10.5/Carbine gas setup, but most decent manufacturers will adjust the gas port correctly to compensate.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I love my 10.5"! It's never disappointed me. And as far as I know, all .223/5.56 10.5" barrels have carbine gas systems. The only one of that length that I know uses a pistol length gas system is a 300blk barrel.

Go with a quality barrel and you shouldnt have any issues. Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, PSA's FN barrels are all top notch.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Well I was able to get my hands on a DD 11.5 hammer forged barrel so I will be going an inch longer until I can find a 10.5. I am going to go with the carbine length gas system. the DD barrel comes with a low profile gas block for a carbine system. Other than an H2 buffer what else should I be looking for? Enhanced extractor spring kit?

-Z

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Well I was able to get my hands on a DD 11.5 hammer forged barrel so I will be going an inch longer until I can find a 10.5. I am going to go with the carbine length gas system. the DD barrel comes with a low profile gas block for a carbine system. Other than an H2 buffer what else should I be looking for? Enhanced extractor spring kit?

-Z

Best practice is to use heavy buffers and work your way down until the rifle runs correctly. My buddy had an 11.5 and a carbine buffer was the ticket. Procure yourself an H2, H and a carbine buffer and see what works. Checking the ejection pattern is usually the way to see where the rifle is happy. Should be from 3-5 oclock.

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Can you explain the difference between a pistol length and a carbine length? Its the length different or is it the diameter of the gas tube??

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Can you explain the difference between a pistol length and a carbine length? Its the length different or is it the diameter of the gas tube??

It's the length of the gas tube. The diameters of the gas tubes are all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom