• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    For general revolver and Marlin lever rifle shooting I use a Winchester 130 grain flat nose FMJ load that I found a while back. The loaded round is Winchester Q4171. Does anyone know of a bullet like this for reloading? It isn't a SWC, it is just a flat nose FMJ which works well in the Marlin lever rifle. I have found some other round nose FMJ bullets but in the tubular magazine I don't think they would be a smart choice.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ever consider casting your own for your wheel gun ? For what its worth, Lee does make a 125 grain flatnose. Most the times cast bullets will come out heavier then the listed weight on the mold -depending on what alloy you use. Wheel weight lead almost always comes out heavier. A 125 grain bullet mold using wheel weight lead - will probably turn out a bullet pretty close to 130 grain. Since you would own the mold, you could have an endless supply, depending on how you get your lead to melt.

Ive heard warnings about using lead bullets in Marlins Micro Groove, but some people do it anyways. Ive never tried it, so I cannot comment on that. But if the rifle is not a micro groove, I would definetly opt for using a cast bullet.

A Lee 2 cavity mold usally runs about $20. They work very well, and are a great buy. They pay for themselves the first time you use it. They also make a 6 cavity mold, if you need volume - but the 2 cavities will turn out alot of bullet pretty quick too!

Here is what the bullet looks like from that mold:

Attachments

• 358125.jpg
      358125.jpg
      10.8 KB · Views: 94

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The only bullet shape you really need to avoid is spitzer. I fired flat nose, round nose, wc and jhp through my 1894 in .44, no issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom