• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I think you should go with the gold plated Desert Eagle.
    But no really if you have the budget for a DE you should spend it on a GOOD 1911. IT will be worth more in the future and shoot better . Just do you home work on 1911 before you just buy to buy.

Really anyone that has been around for anytime kinda chuckles at the big DE,

I won an original DE .357 Mag as a door prize in 1984. I sold it a few years ago for about $900.00. It had a low serial number. Sometimes I wish I had kept it. It was very accurate, but heavy and too big for my hands. Since they are gas operated (really assisted) ammo choices matter.

But if you want a .44 Mag, get a S&W 629 or a Ruger Redhawk.

A Coonan .357 is on my want list. Dan Coonan was a founding member of Magnum Research, maker of the Desert Eagle.

Gyokusai

Jan 11, 2013
    Annapolis
    I've never understood the allure of the Desert Eagle. They look fantastic on the silver screen and on TV, but it has never been a gun I would want to go out of my way to own.

Surprised this thread is still going, but I'll add to it yet again. I can see a place for a DE, but in the case of the OP certainly not before owning a 1911. The DE, honestly, is a pretty fun range toy... but I wouldn't go beyond that. It's really expensive (read: twice a good 1911), and can have issues without the right load and handling, but if one is going to rely on a .44 or .50 as a backup, or for hunting backup or something, I doubt they'd drop their revolvers for this. If you already have a good collection, owning one and firing off a 44/50 out of this semi-auto beast brings a smile to the face.

Full disclosure, I do have a DE 44 XIX in my collection, that being said, it is one of the newer additions to my family. It's just something used for fun as novelty every now and then... beyond that it has no real place, especially in front of a 1911 for real shooting purposes.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    1911's are my favorite handguns (the 45ACP version!), but the DE does have some merits. You can legally hunt with a DE, in the various calibers, since it meets both muzzle energy, and barrel length required by the state -( not includung the baby eagles.) A DE would make an awesome deer hunting handgun. Its also has use as a silhoutte handgun for use in sports such as IHMSA. Mostly high powered hunting handguns (with some in rifle calibers) are needed to knock down targets at long distance.

Other the a NM version of a 1911, a 1911 does not meet barrel length required to hunt within Maryland. Muzzle energy (in 45ACP) does not meet the state requirement to legally use to hunt either.

But for general everyday range use or self defense - the 1911 would get my vote.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    The .50AE Desert Eagle is a top two modern handgun want for me!! I've wanted one for years, but have never had the cash on hand to go out and look for one.

The main reason I want one is to couple with my AR chambered in 50AE. Talk about a fun pair to bring to the range :D

Happa Haole

Happa Haole
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've owned both in my humble opinion. The 1911 is by far the better for both concealed carry an home defense. Not to mention its simply a joy to Target shoot and the 1911 platform is more easily and cost effectively customizable. The DE didn't fit in my hands like the 1911 and there is too much weight in the front end. Your experiences may vary.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I think you should go with the gold plated Desert Eagle.
    But no really if you have the budget for a DE you should spend it on a GOOD 1911. IT will be worth more in the future and shoot better . Just do you home work on 1911 before you just buy to buy.

Really anyone that has been around for anytime kinda chuckles at the big DE,

I saw a gold DE at freestate yesterday I don't know if it was on sale or just a show piece. I was not there for the DE but to purchase a 1911 so I guess my vote is for the 1911

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I love my desert eagles....

Attachments

• 2013-02-28 21.53.37.jpg
      2013-02-28 21.53.37.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 79

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    The only reason I'd get a DE is if I already had most of the other guns I wanted, had a decent amount of money to burn, and wanted to be able to say "Hey, I have a 'Deagle' (that's what most of my friends who own them call them anyway)". Personally I never saw the appeal, other than people who played lots of video games like Counterstrike always wanted to shoot one as the DE tended to be the most powerful handgun in the game. I've shot one, it was fun, but nothing I'd be throwing down the kind of money they're asking for them.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I have both. Actually love both, but I shoot about 20,000 rounds a year and don't use either of them very often.

1911's in 45 are expensive to shoot unless you reload, have very little capacity, a lot of recoil, and unless you're in a division where that's all that is allowed are not good for the action sports I'm into. (Multi-gun, steel shoots, and USPSA) Still the 1911 is a classic and you can't be a true gun guy unless you recognize the genius of John Moses Browning, and own at least one.

Desert Eagles are even more expensive to shoot, have capacity issues also, are big, and weird. I didn't buy mine for the panache, but they do have it. Again, they are not good for most competitions either. They are however, incredibly accurate. I'll shoot my stock very early production 44 magnum against any 1911 .45 ever made for accuracy. (yes, I am prepared to back it up, but ask around before you jump). I would never sell mine. Love it.

The solution is to work some overtime and buy both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom