• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I have an opportunity to purchase this rifle, that has been bubba'd, but besides that, I know nothing about them. Also, have no idea on a price point. I did some basic research, and did a search here, but need help with this specific rifle.

Thoughts on a decent price, and what it would take to get it back to its original glory?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 219

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Run away. It would be a fun project if you want to spend a lot of money for a new stock and hardware. You'd be better off buying a complete rifle if you just want a 1917.
    Who is the manufacturer? An Eddystone in that condition is worth probably $100. Maybe. Less than that if the barrel is shortened, I can't tell for sure if it is. Add a few bucks if it's Remington or Winchester.

You would need a new stock, two handguards, front band assembly, rear band assembly, and a new front sight assembly.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot since I bought one recently that is also in need of a stock. I agree with Dave. If you want it to be an m1917, you would be better off buying a complete rifle. Decent stocks are hard to find and expensive. Plus you'll need the hardware. I also agree that the muzzle/front sight just doesn't look quite right in that picture.

One the other hand, if you would be happy with it as it is, a stout bolt action rifle, go for it. I have repeatedly seen two sporterized m1917 s at gun shows with $400-$450 price tags on them...and I suspect I will keep seeing them at that price.

It does look like the unholy work that was done to it was at least done with some patience and skill. While mine wasn't sporterized, I think it may have met a belt sander while being "cleaned up."

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    As a shooter that has lost its historical value I probably would max out at $125 if everything was in good shape. If it has a good bore and everything else looks fine then it is still a good bolt gun for dragging around the woods or whatever else you want to do.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    As others have stated,about 100 bucks. Better off to find a nice original unless you just want a shooter.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Run away. It would be a fun project if you want to spend a lot of money for a new stock and hardware. You'd be better off buying a complete rifle if you just want a 1917.
    Who is the manufacturer? An Eddystone in that condition is worth probably $100. Maybe. Less than that if the barrel is shortened, I can't tell for sure if it is. Add a few bucks if it's Remington or Winchester.

You would need a new stock, two handguards, front band assembly, rear band assembly, and a new front sight assembly.

One of the first things I noticed in the pic was the barrel as it DEFINITELY looks to be a fair bit shorter than original. If you wanna' beater gun to take in'na woods as is, fine. For what you mentioned you wanted to do (restore it), run away real fast as it needs everything Dave mentioned above AND a new barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom