• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Friggin horse people#!$"#&. NOW they decide is a great time to drive a skid loader around the edge of the woods. Up until sunset yesterday they wete operating a backhoe all down by the woods pushing brush back or something. I'm starting to think they're doing this on purpose cuz the shidloader is doing nothing but driving around the edge of the field.They keep this up and I'll be target shooting back in the field EVERY TIME I hear them giving lessons or when they have a show. My 11 yr old is asking if we should head in because of all the racket, he's hoping to get his 1st deer so we'll stick it out. @=%#=:&:

Horse people(the ones we're talking about here) are the biggest a$$holes in the country. They're every bit as bad as cyclists(you know, the bad ones;)).

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Friggin horse people#!$"#&. NOW they decide is a great time to drive a skid loader around the edge of the woods. Up until sunset yesterday they wete operating a backhoe all down by the woods pushing brush back or something. I'm starting to think they're doing this on purpose cuz the shidloader is doing nothing but driving around the edge of the field.They keep this up and I'll be target shooting back in the field EVERY TIME I hear them giving lessons or when they have a show. My 11 yr old is asking if we should head in because of all the racket, he's hoping to get his 1st deer so we'll stick it out. @=%#=:&:

Look at the bright side, if they are not right on top of you, they could possibly drive a nice buck right to you. Good luck.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Horse people(the ones we're talking about here) are the biggest a$$holes in the country. They're every bit as bad as cyclists(you know, the bad ones;)).
    Hey now its not all of then...just most. My wife is a horse people. I have 3 in my backyard. Most of the people she hangs around with are decent when it comes to respecting hunters and property. But there definitely are a bunch of them that go out of their way to cause issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Hey now its not all of then...just most. My wife is a horse people. I have 3 in my backyard. Most of the people she hangs around with are decent when it comes to respecting hunters and property. But there definitely are a bunch of them that go out of their way to cause issues.

Those are the ones I'm talking about. The weekend riders who prefer to pay others to care fore their animals. The urban nobles who try to lord over the rest of us. The ones who despise us for being unlike them. Anyone who has hunted out in the country long enough has run up against them. :cool:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Those are the ones I'm talking about. The weekend riders who prefer to pay others to care fore their animals. The urban nobles who try to lord over the rest of us. The ones who despise us for being unlike them. Anyone who has hunted out in the country long enough has run up against them. :cool:
    The fox hunters are the worst. Property lines mean nothing to them.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Well, I'm not a deer hunter but I wish all of you deer hunters great success in reducing the herds, especially here in Harford County. One of the damn things (deer, not hunter) just ran into the side of my wife's car.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Nice basket eight I got this past Sunday. Tracked for three miles believe it or not even with great blood on the arrow. Found him Sunday night about 2 miles by trail of where I shot him, but he was still alive even after it being three hours since I had shot him. Ended up finding him Monday at 5:30 pm, but the coyotes had gotten to him. I was able to cape him out and hopefully get a mount out of him.

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpg
      IMG_0943.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 448

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Nice basket eight I got this past Sunday. Tracked for three miles believe it or not even with great blood on the arrow. Found him Sunday night about 2 miles by trail of where I shot him, but he was still alive even after it being three hours since I had shot him. Ended up finding him Monday at 5:30 pm, but the coyotes had gotten to him. I was able to cape him out and hopefully get a mount out of him.

Wow dapefley! That was one hell of a tracking job. Way to stick to it. I may want your number. Coyotes gotta eat too, I suppose. Most taxidermists have or can buy replacement capes. I make it a point to donate capes from deer I don't have mounted to my friendly neighborhood taxidermists when I can. I have also been the beneficiary of such capes. Let me know if you need one. I'll see what I can do...:thumbsup:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Look at the bright side, if they are not right on top of you, they could possibly drive a nice buck right to you. Good luck.

That was the problem. We could see the equipment through the trees less than 100yds from us. Today was not as bad as yesterday, after 15 min of runnning back and forth the skid loader left.
    Just before 5 we had 2 does filter down through the corn field toward us. When one walked out toward the woods he took the shot, unfortunately he was a little too low n shaved the fur off the belly. He was a little bummed but he's ready to go out again.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I like freezer bags. they dont seem to freezer burn.

Invest in a Vacuum sealer. You will thank me later. :D

I've burned up more vacuum sealers than I care to remember. If you wrap them with cling wrap tight and put them in a gallon freezer bag you'll never know the difference. I ate some goose from 2014 the other day that was just as good as the day I froze it. Plus vacuum sealers are slow and the bags are expensive. But mainly I got tired of replacing them.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I've burned up more vacuum sealers than I care to remember. If you wrap them with cling wrap tight and put them in a gallon freezer bag you'll never know the difference. I ate some goose from 2014 the other day that was just as good as the day I froze it. Plus vacuum sealers are slow and the bags are expensive. But mainly I got tired of replacing them.

Yes. It's all about removing the air(as much as is physically possible) from what you are freezing. There are some things you can simply wrap and bag, things with a regular shape. Then there are things that are very irregular, such as cased sausage and the like. I use both methods, which ever is best suited for the job.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Went out this morning and yesterday morning trying to go after that wide 8 I posted earlier, but busted deer out of the area both mornings, and saw nothing afterwards. I went in a 4:45 this morning to try and get in before them, but NOPE...at least three ran off as I walked in. Gonna have to have another plan of action for this spot. Might be sleeping in a blind tonight.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Wow dapefley! That was one hell of a tracking job. Way to stick to it. I may want your number. Coyotes gotta eat too, I suppose. Most taxidermists have or can buy replacement capes. I make it a point to donate capes from deer I don't have mounted to my friendly neighborhood taxidermists when I can. I have also been the beneficiary of such capes. Let me know if you need one. I'll see what I can do...:thumbsup:

Nice buck Dapefley! Sucks that the coyotes got to him but at least you can still mount him.

Thanks guys. This is my first season hunting and I'm addicted to it. It was actually my buddies dog that ended up tracking it the last few hundred yards due to very minor blood. This was her first deer that she ever successfully tracked, and it was a solid 24 hour old trail as well.

Anyone in the hughesville area that needs a dog to track a deer, let me know.

I'm taking it to the taxidermist tomorrow and hopefully he will be able to let me know if it can be saved. We will see.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Didn't see much happening tonight. Saw two in the distance for a moment, couldn't tell what they were, and one more right at dark. Again, couldn't tell what it was, and no shots presented. Headed to WV tomorrow! Monday is opening day firearms there.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Where in WV are you going?

I have family just outside of Beverly. About 10 miles South of Elkins. We hunt on Cheat Mt. Also have family in Dodderidge and Tucker Co. Primarily we hunt on Cheat, but once in a while get to the other counties.
    I have been hunting WV since i was 17, about 35 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom