• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Never going to become reality in the sense that you'll have a strong, durable, long lasting firearm.

Maybe mock something up to fire a few times, but that's it.

That plastic goo, soup stuff is as brittle as, well, peanut brittle when it hardens.

Gives the anti's something to talk about though.

I still get a kick out of Chris Mathews (MSNBC) equating the Boston Bombers with Gun Owners. Just can't make this stuff up.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Never going to become reality in the sense that you'll have a strong, durable, long lasting firearm.

That plastic goo, soup stuff is as brittle as, well, peanut brittle when it hardens.

I still get a kick out of Chris Mathews (MSNBC) equating the Boston Bombers with Gun Owners. Just can't make this stuff up.

Never say never. This technology is extremely new, and improving all the time. It certainly could get to that level one day, and even now, could be strengthened to work as a serviceable lower receiver.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Never say never. This technology is extremely new, and improving all the time. It certainly could get to that level one day, and even now, could be strengthened to work as a serviceable lower receiver.

Glock fielded the technology 30 years ago

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

You are correct the current generation of 3d printers aren't strong enough but what about the next generations. Also people keep forgetting about those small pretty cheap CMC that are starting to come out. Many of the smaller gun manufactures already use the bigger CMC's to create many of there parts. It isn't a big leap to see something like a receiver being built using one of those? Granted under SB281 that would be illegal but when has that stopped the bad guys.

Thanks
    Robert

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I think this is great! It gives Schumer, Feinstein, Bloomberg, OweMalley, OweBama and the rest of the anti-Constitutional gun grabbers something else to spend their time and money on . . . banning printers and common nails as potential weapons of mass destruction . . . for the children of course :)

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    Not strong enough but give it time. The price for them is now down to $1500 from what i hear. Maybe in 5 years it will be better and cheaper.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    In reality all you need to print is the receiver. The rest can be purchased over the counter. But I also think the CNC machines are more of a threat since you can do it all in metal.

bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I personally have a 3d printer of the REPRAP variety. It is really quite amazing what even the low cost ones can produce. The concept of a 3d printed gun is not far fetched at all, at the moment it is the durability that is an issue. DEFCAD's goal was a 3d printed gun that can fire one shot, and they accomplished that in just 8 months.

The reason we are only now seeing these technologies come down in price is not because they are state of the art, it's because the broad patents are running out from when 3D printing was first developed. This is allowing the cost to come way down.

The big impact here is just that it can be done, not that it is a good idea or reliable. Does it help the 2nd Amendment fight going on? I really don't know. What I do know is that it will have an impact on future legislation. For better or worse.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In reality all you need to print is the receiver. The rest can be purchased over the counter. But I also think the CNC machines are more of a threat since you can do it all in metal.

I was a Machinist for 16 years. Ain't nobody gunna drop $50,000.00 on a CNC Mill to bang out an untraceable AR lower.

More like buy a bunch legal lowers and use an old Bridgeport to mill the numbers off of them to make them untraceable.

ATTENTION POLICE or BIG BROTHER: I'm not saying I'm going to do this.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I personally have a 3d printer of the REPRAP variety. It is really quite amazing what even the low cost ones can produce. The concept of a 3d printed gun is not far fetched at all, at the moment it is the durability that is an issue. DEFCAD's goal was a 3d printed gun that can fire one shot, and they accomplished that in just 8 months.

The reason we are only now seeing these technologies come down in price is not because they are state of the art, it's because the broad patents are running out from when 3D printing was first developed. This is allowing the cost to come way down.

The big impact here is just that it can be done, not that it is a good idea or reliable. Does it help the 2nd Amendment fight going on? I really don't know. What I do know is that it will have an impact on future legislation. For better or worse.

It will have no impact on future regulations.

Making is making is making.

Not allowed to make without a license. You can make for yourself, but you have to register it and you cannot offer it for sale.

The means by which a lower is made matter not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom