• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have a question for you cartridge mavens out there... I was thinking about getting some milsurp M2 for use as cheap practice ammo for my Remington 7400. I know some milspec ammo has higher pressures than the commercial stuff, and for some it's lower. I'm not sure about M2 .30-06 ammo though. Is it safe to use this in Remington semi-autos?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I have a question for you cartridge mavens out there... I was thinking about getting some milsurp M2 for use as cheap practice ammo for my Remington 7400. I know some milspec ammo has higher pressures than the commercial stuff, and for some it's lower. I'm not sure about M2 .30-06 ammo though. Is it safe to use this in Remington semi-autos?

I shoot the CMP Greek ball ammo that was for a Garand through my Browning auto and have had no problems at all. I wouldn't think you'll have any problems either.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I shoot the CMP Greek ball ammo that was for a Garand through my Browning auto and have had no problems at all. I wouldn't think you'll have any problems either.

I can't say as to pressures but the Greek M2 was made using good (Reloadable)brass. The one thing is the primers (Boxer) are crimped, remove that & your ready to go.
    In fact, I'm running a few through the Tumbler as I type.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

[URL="http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/2007_2008_guide.pdf]Hunter's Guide to Hunting in Maryland 2007-2008[/URL]

Maryland Rifle Regulations (hunting, Page 18)

It is unlawful to hunt with an automatic firearm capable of firing a series of shots with one continuous pull of the trigger.

Rifles used for deer hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

Firearms used for deer hunting may not have an ammunition clip loaded with more than 8 cartridges or bullets. If a clip has the capacity to hold more than 8 rounds, the clip does not have to be physically blocked, but no more than 8 cartridges or bullets may be loaded.

Rifles may be used to hunt forest game (except turkey during the spring season), upland game (except dove and woodcock), crow, nutria, and woodchuck and certain furbearing species.

It is only lawful to hunt with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction. All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited.

Breech-loading rifles may may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony . . .

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Jim, I know that... I have a couple hundred rounds or so of Remington core-lokt, I'm only asking about cheap ammo for range practice.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're going to use milspec 30-06 ammo for reloading, be aware that it's interior case dimensions are less than commercial ammo and you should work up any loads that you previously developed using commercial ammo from the published starting loads.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If you're going to use milspec 30-06 ammo for reloading, be aware that it's interior case dimensions are less than commercial ammo and you should work up any loads that you previously developed using commercial ammo from the published starting loads.

Cool, I didn't know that - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom