• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    OK, so a 30 round AR magazine meant for 5.56 is illegal to ship to Maryland, but the same exact thing works as a .458 SOCOM magazine, and the capacity is 10 rounds.

So, if someone were advertise and sell "10 round .458 SOCOM magazines" would they be legal to ship to Maryland?

OK, so a 30 round AR magazine meant for 5.56 is illegal to ship to Maryland, but the same exact thing works as a .458 SOCOM magazine, and the capacity is 10 rounds.

So, if someone were advertise and sell "10 round .458 SOCOM magazines" would they be legal to ship to Maryland?

yes. as would a 20. however, since the 10 round mag for a .458 is built around a 30 round 5.56 magazine the non-logical would not ship to md.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Yes, the most obvious second question would be "Even if legal, would anyone actually risk it". I would guess no to that one.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The thing was, during the AWB since the .458 magazine could be used in either a 5.56 or .458 rifle without modification, it was 100% legal on the Federal level.

As for having one shipped into this silly state, I think a prosecutor might find a way to hurt you if you did not have a .458 upper or rifle. If you had a .458 upper, it would be interesting to see them try to go after you.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I don't know about the SOCOM, but my 10 round Beowulf mags are marked as "5.56" mags, because that's what they started off as, and it's cheaper to modify existing mags than manufacture new.

However, that is a thought, if the Feds try to limit mags to 10 rounds. AA and Tempo could make a fortune selling "10 round mags" to 5.56 AR owners.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    If it was marked .458 or .50 beowulf etc.. and if had a different follower (just a rounded one to cradle the big single stack) it would definitely be legal since it wouldnt work with 5.56. I'd have to say its about precedence, and who wants to take a shot first?

I definitely wouldnt try it without a .458 or .50 upper either. I'd like one of those 90 round MWG mags and stuff that with 30 rounds of 50 or .458

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom