• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    Im also considering a 4-12x40 but am worried that 4x might be too powerful for taking quick shots within 50yards. Thoughts?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Im also considering a 4-12x40 but am worried that 4x might be too powerful for taking quick shots within 50yards. Thoughts?

Give a lot of consideration to the type of deer hunting you'll do in most cases and most of the time. If you're hunting bean fields on the shore or similar open areas from a stand with a rest and you have the opportunity for 300 yard shots, that is one set of considerations. But short of that scenario, I'd be willing to bet that if you're hunting woods? Look me up when you kill your 20th deer. Tell me how many you shot outside of 100 yards. I'm going to bet you'll tell me no more than two in twenty. I'll also bet that the vast majority of the other 18 deer you'll have shot were inside of 75 yards, with many of those well inside of 50 yards. My point here is that all scopes are compromises, with magnification cutting both ways as both an advantage and a liability. Consider erring to the side of your most likely hunting scenario. And choose your gear accordingly.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    OP, I would only caution you from ruining the great handling qualities of that Featherweight by overscoping it. This may not be a big deal when stand hunting out of box blinds; but if you plan to do any stillhunting at all, balance and shootability become more important.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    All great suggestions. My dad suggested getting a 2-7x and he did a lot of hunting growing up. I just want to make sure I get a scope that matches the capability of the of the .308win cartridge as well as my intended use. Looks like leupold offers the vx iii in 2.5-8x36 for $399--that might be a good option too.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm sort of in the same boat, considering this .308 Savage package:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat105522480;cat105523380

It comes with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, how low end is that?

I just got that package gun in 22-250 and that Nikon scope isn't bad for a package deal.
    Check with one of the IP's here, I'm sure one of them can get you a better deal than the one you linked to, I just got one from my FFL for a good bit less than that deal.

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    If you have suggestions on who might carry it I am open, my local FFL had it on the shelves at $650 and it was so dusty it looked like nobody had played with it in months =)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you have suggestions on who might carry it I am open, my local FFL had it on the shelves at $650 and it was so dusty it looked like nobody had played with it in months =)

I'll have to go with a thread I started about location since you don't have it listed with your user name I have no idea where you are located.
    If you go into the IP section and look thru and see who's closest to you and send them a PM to see if they can get you one and for how much $$$$.
    My FFL didn't have it in stock, but he had it in a couple of days after we went thru the motions.:thumbsup:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Most of the scopes mentioned will do a good job, a 3 to 9 works well for me and I rarely use 9 power,most of the time in the 4 to 6 range.
    Where I notice a difference among hunting scopes is the light gathering ability and that is where the Zeiss shines,looking thru that scope at dawn and dusk the scope is brighter and clearer than any other scope I own in those conditions.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a scope base and rings for the model 70 featherweight assuming Im going to run a 40mm scope?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Scopes don't gather light. That verb pisses me off so much...they TRANSMIT light. gathering is an active verb. Does the scope jump off your rifle, run around and gather up all the light? No.

Optics TRANSMIT light. They don't collect it. They don't gather it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Which Bushnell?

They make a number of lines, and some of their higher end scopes are very nice with very good glass.

Trophy XLT. True - it's a cheap scope. My point is that it looks like a cheap scope compared to the Nikon.

I cringe at the thought of paying $450 for a scope (the Monarch was less); Guess I am not as demanding as you guys.

But yeah - the comparison is more obvious if you do a side by side look through. The Vortex Viper series also looks a lot better. They aint cheap either. Vortex does have a 2.5 - 10 that might fit what the OP is looking for (shots at 50 to 300 yards).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a scope base and rings for the model 70 featherweight assuming Im going to run a 40mm scope?

Check the manufacturer's web site for the bases and rings you're interested in...Leupold, Weaver etc. They will list part numbers for options that are specific to both your exact make and model of rifle that apply to the bell diameter of your chosen scope.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Quick 50 yard shots? I have my remington 7600 carbine set up with see through leupold rings with iron sights. Had great success in the PA thickets with this setup.

Longer ranges?

Fan of the bushnell Elite line but a bit pricey for hunting...hunting out to 500 yards you should be fine with the 4-16 legend ultra. You can pick one up for under $400

On a side note if you are considering a long range setup look into Nightforce

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I have a 4-12x on my .300 Win Mag and .270 Win. Haven't really had a problem with shots at 50 yards or less. However, none of them were made on animals running at 50 yards and none of them were "quick". Now, I run a 3-9x on my slug gun and have killed running deer with that at 25 yards. I've also used the 12x for 300 yard shots.

Personally, I think you are splitting hairs here. Don't think 3x versus 4x will make that much of a difference at 50 yards and on the other spectrum I don't think that 9x versus 12x will make that much of a difference at 300 yards. I'd probably pick the scope based upon what I think the gun will be used for most of the time. Will the gun be used mostly for open areas or brushy areas?

I use Burris scopes because that is what the dealer had at the gun show when I bought my Ruger. I like that scope and it has a lifetime warranty. Sent it back to have a rubber seal replaced and the thing came back looking brand new. It and the gun are about 21 years old now. Guessing I have about 8 Burris scopes nowadays. As already mentioned, I think Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, and other top of the line scopes will all be fine. If I went away from Burris, it would probably be to Swarovski. Thing is, Burris is owned by Beretta and the scopes are made in the USA. So, I'll probably stick with Burris for a while longer.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Which Bushnell?

They make a number of lines, and some of their higher end scopes are very nice with very good glass.

Agreed! Bushnell is synonymous with there inexpensive Sportview line in the minds of many. But at the other end of their lineup, they also make their Elite series. These are excellent quality scopes in my opinion, and at very competitive prices. They are very definitely worth a look IMO. Their 3x9 can be had for $250 if you shop them. I own several Elite series scopes and would not hesitate to buy another. To me they offer perhaps the best value on the market today, and that's coming from a long time Leupold guy.

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    I'll have to go with a thread I started about location since you don't have it listed with your user name I have no idea where you are located.
    If you go into the IP section and look thru and see who's closest to you and send them a PM to see if they can get you one and for how much $$$$.
    My FFL didn't have it in stock, but he had it in a couple of days after we went thru the motions.:thumbsup:

Sorry, Aberdeen. Like I said tho the big FFL near me had it for $100 over Cabelas price. These are cash and carry tho, right? I could pick one up in DE on my next run through there, would save another $30ish..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom