• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Hey C&R guru's. I have a quick question about a .32 SW revolver (apparently it is .32 SW short and made prior to 1899). What would you place the value of the below revolver at? I tried doing some research, and my head is spinning a little bit. Basically, what is going on is a trade. I would be receiving the revolver and $50, for a tin of 54R and a round Mosin Nagant.

Would this be a fair trade? Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      94.6 KB · Views: 193

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A round Mosin and tin of ammo is easily worth $230-$250, no way would I pay that for that revolver even getting $50 in cash to boot, but that's just a hunch.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    FWIW, I have one kinda like that, a 1897 .32SW I think it's an H&R, and mine will shoot .32SW and also .32ACP. It is not accurate with either and the bore looks fine. I'd only use it for very close range. I definitely wouldn't trade for a Mosin. The .32SW also shoots pretty dirty, so if I shoot it anymore I wear a cheap latex glove.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    FWIW, I have one kinda like that, a 1897 .32SW I think it's an H&R, and mine will shoot .32SW and also .32ACP. It is not accurate with either and the bore looks fine. I'd only use it for very close range. I definitely wouldn't trade for a Mosin. The .32SW also shoots pretty dirty, so if I shoot it anymore I wear a cheap latex glove.

Wait, are you shooting actual .32 ACP out of it or simply using the brass to reload faux .32 S&W Short?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wait, are you shooting actual .32 ACP out of it or simply using the brass to reload faux .32 S&W Short?

Well, wasn't intentional. I got it, asked someone to get me .32SW and turned out it was .32ACP instead. If I recall, I shot a cylinder or two of it fine. The cases stuck a bit in the cylinder but did not damage it. I am now ONLY using .32SW and only recommend using the older style SW cartridges in these. I am not advocating using ACP in these, sorry. You should see what happened when we tried to shoot 7.62x54r in my old Nagant revolver.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Be sure to only use ammo loaded to black powder pressures.

OP, that Iver Johnson is worth about $100 if it's in good working order. If anything is wrong with timing, it's close to worthless.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

FWIW, I hope you understand that your 32 S&W was designed to shoot low (cup ) pressure ammunition. 32 S&W ammo is loaded to 8,000 to 9,000 +- cup pressure.

32 ACP is a high pressure (cup) ammunition. It is loaded to 20.000 to 22.000 cup pressure.

Bad mojo can happen with that practice Sir.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Hey C&R guru's. I have a quick question about a .32 SW revolver (apparently it is .32 SW short and made prior to 1899). What would you place the value of the below revolver at? I tried doing some research, and my head is spinning a little bit. Basically, what is going on is a trade. I would be receiving the revolver and $50, for a tin of 54R and a round Mosin Nagant.

Would this be a fair trade? Any input appreciated.

Bad deal. $75-100 tops.

Also, according to this article, Iver Johnson didn't start selling via their U.S. Revolver Co. line until 1909...so while the design predates 1899, the revolver doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom