• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    I have them both. I'm not really qualified to say which is better, but I wouldn't consider my collection complete without both.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    For home defense or CCW, I'd choose a 357. If it was primarily a range gun, and I could afford the ammo, 44 mag would be more fun. For hunting or wildlife defense (ie. bears), most definitely 44 mag.

Agree - usually the 44 mag comes into play for hunting, given its ballistics and cost of ammo - expensive plinking. Of course you are not likely to shoot that many rounds per range visit, unless you take lots of breaks.

I do five rounds each of 45colt, then 454 then 460 mag through my revolver and I'm ready for a short break. Makes 357 seem like 22lr after shooting 460 mag.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Pardon me while I whip this out!

Attachments

• Dan Wesson.jpg
      Dan Wesson.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 149

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Those are sweet! I can't hardly wait til Monday, I pickup my redhawk then. I already have rounds loaded and ready to try!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Get the .44 magnum IF you want to follow-up with a rifle/carbine.

S&W mdl 19 - .357 Magnum

Dan Wesson mdl 44VH-4 (I originally bought this as a VH-8 for IHMSA)
    I carried and used this revolver, as seen, on a wild boar hunt in Tennessee, a few years ago. Took a 265 lb boar w/ 1 shot at 7 feet!

A Marlin, Winchester or Rossi levergun is a very good compliment to either caliber.
    For hunting, the .44 magnum makes a lot more sense than the .357 IMNSHO.

Like a fool, I sold my Marlin 1894S a few years ago, to a friend with a case of "I gotta have that" disease.
    I did replace it with a Marlin 1894CB, though!!

If anyone is interested, my daughter and her gentleman friend went to a gunshop yesterday, and saw a Dan Wesson .44 magnum - stainless steel in a case, for sale.
    (PM me if you want details!)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I like that model 19! That is defenetly on the "I want" list! I love my model 15 but the 19 has the extra oopff of .357!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I like that model 19! That is defenetly on the "I want" list! I love my model 15 but the 19 has the extra oopff of .357!

That mdl 19, is a 19-4.
    It was the first revolver that I ever bought.

This revolver has over 15,000 rounds through it.
    I put a target hammer and target trigger in it, shortly after I bought it, in 1979.

This revolver is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Shooting at/hitting empty shotshells at 25 yards is a kick in the pants!! :thumbsup:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    EL1227;2491585[URL="http://sdrv.ms/1btvK3v" said:
    Me shooting my cousins .44 Magnum[/URL]

For some reason I read this as "me shooting my cousin with a .44 magnum."

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Picked it up last night and hit the range.....it is freekin awesome! :D I know I made the right choice! Makes my hand seem quite small.

Attachments

• IMAG0333.jpg
      IMAG0333.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 89

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    So, here's my mind wandering again. I want to but one of these calibers before Oct 1. The plan is to follow up with a rifle in the same caliber after October 1.
    Some pluses for .357, 1. I already reload .38 spl. and I have access to a ton of brass from a friend. I'm also thinking lighter recoil?
    For the .44 mag, my brother will sell me his Super redhawk for $450 plus transfer.

Just figured I'd get some opinions, please remember I'm also thinking rifle so ballistics there would be important.
    What happens on October 1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom