• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Well after a few jewels of knowledge with AKs and since I am the proud owner of a soon to be SBRd 7.62x39, plus threads like this one and a crap load of other ones:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=52102

I have an itch to get a 5.45x39 AK. From the looks of it, Arsenal are top tier. However, are there any other AK's out there? Basically, what I would like to do is purchase one with the short gas tube (Im guessing), chambered in 5.45x39. This is what I mean by short gas tube. These are originally Dracos but with some of Chad's sloppy man love added:
    21160241_photobucket_1391_.jpg

Is there such thing as a Draco in 5.45x39? I would like to have my AK options covered and eventually make it an SBR or purchase a pistol type one and make it an SBR.

TLDR:
    5.45x39 AKs with a short gas tube for SBRing. Where can they be found.
    Knowledge swap between different manufacturers.

I just found this too in 5.45

p_saiga.jpg

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga.htm

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    The original Soviet military short-barreled AK's known as the AKS-74U were made in limited numbers from 1979 to 1992 in 5.45x39.5 only. The name "Krinkov" is an American bastardization of a Russian word but has become popular here in describing short barreled AK's.

That being said the only way to get a short-barreled "Krinkov" 5.45 would be a parts kit. The parts kit itself would be worth several thousand dollars if found because they are extremely rare if not downright impossible to find. The majority of "Krink" kits in this country are Yugo or Bulgarian 7.62x39's or Bulgarian 5.56's. Other similar rifles in the same category would be as you posted the Romanian Draco's and Hungarian AMD's.

For 5.45 you are pretty much stuck with 16" barrels. For a quality 5.45x39.5 that is already in milspec format the Arsenal SGL-31 is your best bet. A tier above that would be the InRange Bulgarian 5.45 kit builds that are really nice.

You could probably buy a stock 5.45 Saiga and pay a reputable builder to do a conversion but prepare to pay some money.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As Scott said, there are no current imports with that combined gas/sight block in 5.45, and very few if any made it into the country before the ban.

If you are set on one you'll need to look for an AKS-U kit in 5.45 and have it built (or just pay the $1500+ price tag for a pre-assembled one).

Rguns.net is selling virgin Tula sidefolder kits for $775, which is a good deal while it lasts. You'd still need to locate a barrel, most guys will have an East German lathed down ($120 for the barrel plus labor). That way you can choose to keep it legal length and not do the stamp, or have it chopped down and SBR.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Rguns.net is selling virgin Tula sidefolder kits for $775, which is a good deal while it lasts. You'd still need to locate a barrel, most guys will have an East German lathed down ($120 for the barrel plus labor). That way you can choose to keep it legal length and not do the stamp, or have it chopped down and SBR.

Oh yea I forgot about those. He should buy one of those. :D:party29:

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Rguns has some pretty nice looking stuff.
    http://rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-kalashnikov.shtml

KrebsKTR09Collapsible.jpg

Here's their 5.45 version. Just might need to get the barrel chopped and I'll be in business.
    Is it worth the $1400 though?

Yes, Mark Krebs (a name well-known in the AK world) and his AK's are considered the best custom AK's on the market. They are more accurate than your typical AK, reliable, ergonomic, and durable. They are the epitome of the ultimate AK.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I have 2, a Polish Tantal folder and a fixed stock. Enough ammo for the short term. Also have a 5.45 AR upper which I really like. I find recoil about the same as a 556. :D I like all of them. :thumbsup:

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I pick one up at a show and looked it over. Really nice AK, wouldn't mind having one

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I saw those also. I wonder Chad, how much tinkering needs to be done to get them SBRd?

For some reason I caught the SBR bug on AKs. Can the gas system be retrofitted to one like the Dracos?

Yes they can be shortened, a new gas piston has to be fit, basically the gas system can be shortened to Draco length. A 1 piece FSB and Gas Block will have to be used. The job isnt cheap since the gas port size has to be tinkered with.

The job isnt cheap though the labor alone would cost $500 without the gas piston or FSB/GB. It would take me an entire day to cut, recrown, turn the barrel if needed, drill gas port, debutt the hole. Refinish the barrel/FSB, test fire.

Ill be shortening my 74 in the same fashion, but it will have to be after I find a new shop to work at. I definately wont have time to finish my personal projects, customer backlog and do this job too.

I took me 3 weeks to instal LH chargers on my 3 AK's....Too many whiney customers to do my own work, theirs come first. :D

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Yes they can be shortened, a new gas piston has to be fit, basically the gas system can be shortened to Draco length. A 1 piece FSB and Gas Block will have to be used. The job isnt cheap since the gas port size has to be tinkered with.

The job isnt cheap though the labor alone would cost $500 without the gas piston or FSB/GB. It would take me an entire day to cut, recrown, turn the barrel if needed, drill gas port, debutt the hole. Refinish the barrel/FSB, test fire.

Ill be shortening my 74 in the same fashion, but it will have to be after I find a new shop to work at. I definately wont have time to finish my personal projects, customer backlog and do this job too.

I took me 3 weeks to instal LH chargers on my 3 AK's....Too many whiney customers to do my own work, theirs come first. :D

Then... Find a shop in MoCo and I'll save up some cash so I can get a 5.45 krink :)

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I really want an ak105 "look alike" (Non SBR). I dont care if it does not have the russian FS/Gas Block which is near impossible to find.
    From what i see i have three choices:

Get an SGL 31-94: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17659&cat=354&page=1

And get the Bulgarian combo sight and gas block and get it installed with a 4 inch compensator. (http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16981&cat=286&page=1)
    Only problem is KVAR is out of the Bulgarian Combo FSB and no one else has it.

Or get the same rifle and have this AK105 barrel assembley installed. (http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16579&cat=274&page=1
    Its 273.00 plus labor for the install and the compensator to be pinned.

Or get this SGL 32-61 (http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17606&cat=354&page=1) (get barrel cut and compensator pinned) and add a folding stock. I then have to buy the folding stock assembly (about 300 for the russian poly) and send it to a smith who has to cut the retaining hook hole in the reciever. Most people quote 200- 400 to have this done.

Anyone (CHAD, lol) want to give me an opinion on the best most cost effective choice?
    Do to the lack of the combo sightblock i only really have two options (install the folding rear on the SGL 32-61 or install the new barrell assembly on the SGL 31-94) unless someone knows of a source for the sight block.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom