• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thinking of building a 6.5 Grendel for long range and possible (though unlikely) hunting.

Pros:
    Low recoil (compared to a conventional. 308/AR-10)
    Low weight (same)
    Higher capacity (same)
    Ability to use higher BC projectiles
    Higher velocity leading to less elevation loss and shorter flight times
    Simple switch upper conversion, (from what I've read stock AR bits on the lower work)
    SAAMI Spec so possible to find on the shelf

Cons:
    Not 5.56
    Special magazines
    Needs a matched bolt (also read reports of early bolts breaking supposedly fixed)
    Ammos not cheap

Anything else I need to be aware of? Any one willing to give unbiased experience?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I have one that I use for hunting and I love it. I also just finished a long range build but haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Recoil is pretty much non-existent. The ammo issue is not that much of an issue anymore. Wolf and Prvi make fairly cheap brass case ammunition and Wolf makes steel case for it also.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Why not shoot 300 blackout supers?

300 Blackout fits in and will chamber in a standard AR mag. If it manages to fire gun go kaboom.

I haven't seen anything that says 6.5 will chamber in a 5.56 or vice versa.

I prefer eliminating stupid hoomin mistakes from shooting.

I am between 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc ii, but I think I'm gonna go the 6.8 route only because it is going to be a hog gun and I dont need to shoot as far. Everything I have read has been positive about the 6.5 grendels. I vote go for it!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    The only thing I found or didn't so to speak are Barrels...the optimum length is 18" or 20" from what I have researched, though 16" is available...

The .264 LBC relation/similarities to 6.5 Grendel.

From what I read you can easily go out too 1200 yards with the right setup...with effective impact...

The only other quirky thing I found is the threading on the Barrels by association and finding a Muzzle Device to fit it or having to go custom...

The Bolt thing is just paying attention to details but I have read that the 2nd gen is more prevalent now...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a good friend pushing me for a while to do a Grendel - he's in love with it. I've researched it quite a bit and it just doesn't make sense. A 75-80gr 223 will be going faster than a 120gr 6.5 even out past 600yds (from 16" bbls.) The BCs are very similar means 223 is flatter and similar wind drift. To use the really high BC bullets you need a 6.5 to be 140gr and that needs Creedmoor levels of powder to push it. The 6mmAR seems to be a far more optimum combination in a 223 length COAL limit (like a 6.5CM is a better optimization than a 308 in the same COAL.) MUCH faster bullets equals ~25% less drop than 6.5G @ 600yds. Higher BCs too. You have to handload them though (uses necked down Grendel brass.) I read somewhere that the 6mmAR is 'what the 6.5G should have been' and its hard for me not to reach the same conclusion for target work. The only advantage of 6.5G has at the moment is that you can get factory ammo. Meh.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Why not shoot 300 blackout supers?

As much as I love my 300BO, it's not really a "long range" round. That said, I'm itching to use my Barnes TAC-TX 110gr cartridges on some deer next season.
    Agreed, the .300 BO and "long range" do not belong in the same sentence.

I am between 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc ii, but I think I'm gonna go the 6.8 route only because it is going to be a hog gun and I dont need to shoot as far. Everything I have read has been positive about the 6.5 grendels. I vote go for it!
    The 6.8 SPC is a completely different cartridge and is not especially suitable for long range. Excellent door-kicker/mid-range hunting round, not not really long range cartridge at all.

It launces a lighter 110 grain bullet with a lesser BC at about the same speeds as the 6.5 Grendell does a higher BC 123 Sierra MatchKing.
    I think I'm going to try .277 Wolverine
    Basically none of the cons of the 6.5 Grendel
    The .277 Wolverine is a reinvention/close copy of the 6.8 SPC. Ballistics are identical, bullets are the same, it does nothing a 6.8 SPC will not do.
    The only thing I found or didn't so to speak are Barrels...the optimum length is 18" or 20" from what I have researched, though 16" is available...
    In order to utilize the ballistic potential of the 6.5 Grendell, I'd suggest at least a 20" barrel.
    The .264 LBC relation/similarities to 6.5 Grendel.
    The 6.5 LBC is to the 6.5 Grendel what the .300 Blackout is to the .300 Whisper - a close copy and mainly a way to get around a copyrighted name. Comparative ballistics are identical in both situations.
    From what I read you can easily go out too 1200 yards with the right setup...with effective impact...
    The 6.5 Grendel tracks almost the same trajectory as the .308/175 match load. Drop and drift are nearly identical and the main forte' of the Grendel is the ability to use the AR-15 platform for long range with drop/drift comparable to a .308.
    The only other quirky thing I found is the threading on the Barrels by association and finding a Muzzle Device to fit it or having to go custom...
    Yes, muzzle devices are an issue, but one does not normally need a flash suppressor on a (long range) Grendel, nor is recoil commanding of a muzzle brake.
    The Bolt thing is just paying attention to details but I have read that the 2nd gen is more prevalent now...
    Not too much of a problem, since the BCG would stay with the dedicated upper and once the right initial choice is made, it's a no-brainer.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    300 Blackout fits in and will chamber in a standard AR mag. If it manages to fire gun go kaboom. I haven't seen anything that says 6.5 will chamber in a 5.56 or vice versa. I prefer eliminating stupid hoomin mistakes from shooting.

I have not tried to chamber my 300blk reloads into my AR in 5.56 or made dummies but won't a 300blk only chamber if you load with a shorter OAL or force it in and allow the bullet to fall deeper into the neck?

I was planning to look at this cause I see videos o people clambering them but who knows what OAL their bullet is

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I have not tried to chamber my 300blk reloads into my AR in 5.56 or made dummies but won't a 300blk only chamber if you load with a shorter OAL or force it in and allow the bullet to fall deeper into the neck?

I was planning to look at this cause I see videos o people clambering them but who knows what OAL their bullet is

I have no idea as I'm not a reloader but I've seen the aftereffects (hand grenade in the upper) and I don't like the idea of it being possible (if unlikely).

Being that I shoot multiple firearms each outing and am usually shooting with a larger (3-5 people) group, the chances of a mistake not being caught go up exponentially.

The ones I've seen have been (reportedly) factory ammo and factory barrels not Bubba Jr hogging out a 5.56 chamber to accept bigger bullets. (Saw that on a Mauser being sold as a parts gun) someone tried converting a 7mm Brazilian to an 8mm with a drill and dremel.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I have no idea as I'm not a reloader but I've seen the aftereffects (hand grenade in the upper) and I don't like the idea of it being possible (if unlikely).

Being that I shoot multiple firearms each outing and am usually shooting with a larger (3-5 people) group, the chances of a mistake not being caught go up exponentially.

The ones I've seen have been (reportedly) factory ammo and factory barrels not Bubba Jr hogging out a 5.56 chamber to accept bigger bullets. (Saw that on a Mauser being sold as a parts gun) someone tried converting a 7mm Brazilian to an 8mm with a drill and dremel.

The aftermath of a 300BO in a 5.56 chamber, or vice versa, is pretty horrendous. That's 100% true. And I get the fear due to multiple people being around as I often shoot with family and/or friends. One easy fix is to either take 5.56 or 300BO guns. Either that or color code them like crazy. For instance, orangy yellow is 300BO for me and silver/white is 5.56. I have plastic handguards for my rails and tape for the mags. I also make it clear no one but my brother touches, or especially loads, my big guns unless I'm right there.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The aftermath of a 300BO in a 5.56 chamber, or vice versa, is pretty horrendous. That's 100% true. And I get the fear due to multiple people being around as I often shoot with family and/or friends. One easy fix is to either take 5.56 or 300BO guns. Either that or color code them like crazy. For instance, orangy yellow is 300BO for me and silver/white is 5.56. I have plastic handguards for my rails and tape for the mags. I also make it clear no one but my brother touches, or especially loads, my big guns unless I'm right there.

I've heard of the segregation idea, seperate but equal mags.
    Different colored mags for different ammo, but for me it's easier to just avoid the issue altogether plus 300 Blackout is a no go for my purposes so it's a moot point either way.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA

The difference is the depth of the bolt face. .124" (7.62x39) vs .136" Bill Alexander went deeper to save on extractors. However, the rim is still pretty thin in either one. And if you push the loads, you will break a bolt if you are not careful. The G doesn't need to run hot to perform well, so I go easy on mine. Edit: please note, the bolt must be the correct type for your barrel for the obvious head space difference a mix match would cause.

A caveat to Mr. Shell: while the G does mimic the 308 in drift and drop, the energy after 450 to 500 is dismal for deer sized game. I would shoot nothing, but paper and steel beyond that especially at 1,000+

I run a 18" Satern that's 1/2 moa all day, every day. I also run an 18" 6.8 ARP that shoot a single hole at 100 yards no matter how many times you pull the trigger. Both are great, but neither are long range hunting. The G gets the nod for targets passed 400 using factory rounds. However, high BC 130s handloaded in the 6.8 will hang with the Grendel. Depends on how much time and money you want to invest.

Off topic: A.243 Ackley is my choice for distance, but I'm a biased 6mm fanboy and spit on 308s. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom