• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    It's a nothing now. Standard Federal PPC Practical pistol course. 60 rounds. score of 300.

Initially we had the TPC Tactical Pistol Course. It was the "Original 33" qual. VERY few passed it. I did. But I have to say 40% probably failed. Maybe more. I think we ended that in the beginning of 03.

I have them around here somewhere. I'll post them.
    fc7dc5dc291014f47d56873f260e7eb6.jpg
    c2d6b5fe3a9c0066eabc4baa25945a28.jpg
    That's awesome. Did they cancel it because too many people failed it? Seems like a good reason to keep it...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's awesome. Did they cancel it because too many people failed it? Seems like a good reason to keep it...
    One issue was that it wasn't taught in training. Then you graduate and have to do this. It's tough for many.
    Another issue is you really need a 270° range since you're doing your little pirouette. We only did it at Quantico.

Have to remember that the job used to be a "special op"(for lack of better words) type gig.
    Fast forward to 9/11 and having to ramp the numbers up by thousands.
    Got too big for the FAA.
    The TPC just wasn't a good fit for the masses.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hmm! Maybe I’ll do my renewal with my Old Army. A little black powder smoke never hurt anybody. And that thing is super accurate.
    We can have a contest to see who qualifies with the most interesting gun. A Gyrojet would be awesome, but may be tough to hit anything with.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We can have a contest to see who qualifies with the most interesting gun. A Gyrojet would be awesome, but may be tough to hit anything with.
    Maybe I can toss an Odd Job Razor Bowler Hat. He seemed pretty good at 15 yards on statuary. Occam’s Razor Hat! I kill me.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    i've got my 16 hour scheduled next weekend. I have good handle on the day 2 rang qualification Is there a test at the end of the first day of classroom instruction?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    i've got my 16 hour scheduled next weekend. I have good handle on the day 2 rang qualification Is there a test at the end of the first day of classroom instruction?
    Most do it on the second day so that the renewal students (who only show up for one of the days) can be handled at the same time. And of course, for the noobs, they save the shooty part for the tail end of the basic intro instruction, optimists that they are :-)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'd imagine that would vary from instructor to instructor. As far as I know the only things standard are the 16 hours, course of fire and general outline.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Are these the decrepit, ambling zombies, or those damn, 'Carl Lewis on steroids' zombies?

I hate the latter, I am not as fleet of foot as I was in my salad days.

Much slower in my spotted dick/chip butty days.

spotteddickfrosh.PNG

Last edited:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Ok, sorry to take so long to get back. I have pre meno brain fog, and other pre meno things that are torture. I suppose I could still ace the test if it's only to 7 yards and the location well lit. I am still standing in awe and not sure when to go ahead with this. A buddy I let hunt my land already had his permit from work and can now carry unrestricted. He came by tonight ( carrying!) and told me his dad is looking into qualifying for being an instructor. Can they do 1 on 1 classroom at their house ( in North East), and can the range be my land ( 15 mins from there)? Fingerprinting in North East or Elkton? I remember seeing billboards a while back for HQL, carry permit, and fingerprinting on 40 in Cecil.

Jul 1, 2012
    It would be awesome! I'd lend you one of mine, but a 24-round box of rockets goes for about $3-4k now, that's on you :)
    At these ranges it's probably accurate enough as long as the almost 60 year-old rockets actually fire!
    3a.JPG

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok, sorry to take so long to get back. I have pre meno brain fog, and other pre meno things that are torture. I suppose I could still ace the test if it's only to 7 yards and the location well lit. I am still standing in awe and not sure when to go ahead with this. A buddy I let hunt my land already had his permit from work and can now carry unrestricted. He came by tonight ( carrying!) and told me his dad is looking into qualifying for being an instructor. Can they do 1 on 1 classroom at their house ( in North East), and can the range be my land ( 15 mins from there)? Fingerprinting in North East or Elkton? I remember seeing billboards a while back for HQL, carry permit, and fingerprinting on 40 in Cecil.
    If he is approved to teach the course by the MSP he absolutely can do 1 on 1 class and the shooting part can be anywhere. Whatever details you 2 work out will work. Not sure about livescan fingerprint locations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom