• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I am gauging interest in a small build party that I can host, in the Falls Church/Annandale area.

What I have: Drill press and a vise (on order), drill and mill bits, machining experience.

What I don't have: the jigs necessary for completing the job on a drill press!

So basically I'm trying to find 3-5 people who have 80% lowers and at least one person with a jig. We could meet up on a Saturday or Sunday, cookout or whatever and crank out some lowers. I'll have to check with my housemates and see what dates are available, just want to see if anyone is interested.

I want to keep the numbers down since it will probably take 45-60 mins per lower or longer depending on any number of factors. While I have drill and mill bits, I would suggest bringing some of your own in case we get breakages or the bits dull.

As I'm sure you all understand, all work must be completed by the individual who owns the lower. It's not that bad, I've watched a few good videos and I'm sure I can help a small group get through the drilling and milling operations.

I'm thinking it will also be a good idea if someone can bring a first aid kit... injury is possible and it would be good if we have supplies to deal with anything that could go wrong.

Please discuss and if you're committed to doing a lower and could attend a build party in the next few months, say so! I'll try to lock in a date, and post up ASAP so we can get the party started. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Having recently done one on a drill press...you need to budget several hours per 80% on a drill press....Just sayin' :)

Took me about 5-6 hours

Jesus... well. damn. I have done plenty of machining, but obviously on mills. I think this should be a very easy mill job, since all that has to be milled is the FCG pocket.

Why did it take you so long? Equipment limitations or setup time? Learning curve? I have a hard time wrapping my head around 5 or 6 hours... if you are cutting at the right speeds, with the right bits and cutting fluid, I figured it would be pretty simple.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    wouldn't take that long on a proper end mill. However, on a drill press, most of the pocket is drilled out. You need to drill ~36 1/8" holes to a predetermined depth which should be done slow not to break the bit. Then you drill out the holes with an 3/8" bit to the same depth. the 3/8 holes go slow since you have to be quite careful due to overlapping cuts. Cleaning up with a endmill bit on a drill press has to be done very slowly too since the chuck of a drill press isn't designed for that kind of side loading.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    wouldn't take that long on a proper end mill. However, on a drill press, most of the pocket is drilled out. You need to drill ~36 1/8" holes to a predetermined depth which should be done slow not to break the bit. Then you drill out the holes with an 3/8" bit to the same depth. the 3/8 holes go slow since you have to be quite careful due to overlapping cuts. Cleaning up with a endmill bit on a drill press has to be done very slowly too since the chuck of a drill press isn't designed for that kind of side loading.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I saw the video from JT, and I guess I forget they speed up many of the operations and don't really show any setup.

I need to go in on a jig set with someone I guess lol... that sucks a build party would be fun.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom