• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happa Haole

Happa Haole
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've seen a lot of 80 percent receivers for various types of firearms, 1911, AK47,AR15,etc. Has anyone made one and have any advise? According to ATF producing your own firearms is legal so long as you never transfer them.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Here is what I have heard...

1911's - require custom fitting and a lot of time.
    AK's - require a press and a lot of JIG's for bending the frameand seating the barrel.
    AR's - You need a mill.. If you have a drill press you can do it but a mill works the best.

BernieSTEVEN

Mar 5, 2013
    MD STATE PD TAKE ON THE MATTER.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning All,

I called and followed up with an e mail to the State PD , they seem to think that even if one builds anything from an 80% reciever that it is still a regulated firearm once milled.

Odd part is that MCPD is on the same page as the ATF that no numbers nor paper work is needed. My question is who is right the State PD or ATF? Below is the e mail. Any help will be great.

Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    To: msp.Licensing@maryland.gov
    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHL15

Good afternoon,

If I may ask are the above legal in the State of MD? According to
    the ATF as well as my local PD they are. If someone makes this they would
    still need to register this item?

Thanking you in advance .

MSP Firearms Registration -State Police- <msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov> Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original

The AR-15 lower receiver is regulated.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM, MSP Licensing -State Police- <msp.licensing@maryland.gov> wrote:
    - Show quoted text -

--

Maryland State Police
    Support Services Bureau
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Baltimore, MD 21208

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    A few basic points:
    - Nothing in MD law addresses home builds. Don't bother asking the MSP their opinion, building falls squarely under Federal law. If it's legal to own here, it's legal to build.
    - If you build a regulated weapon, you don't have to do anything special with it. You are already the legal owner, since it's not being transferred there is no paperwork the MSP requires.
    - You don't have to mark it unless being transferring through an FFL or registered because of SB-281. You CAN sell a home build, but many don't because of liability reasons.

AKs require a fair amount of tooling and skill to put together. ARs not so much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also if you build it and sell it shortly thereafter, someone might think that you built it to sell, and that would make you an unlicensed manufacturer.

Build it and sell it a few years later, just comply with the law on transfers.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Does anyone know what you need or what the process is to voluntarily register a lower you competed from 80%?

For instance, if I have a company engrave a serial number and name into my lower, is the MSP going to ask me where it came from when I go to register it?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Just to be clear, there is NO requirement to voluntarily register a home-built firearm. MD is only concerned with transfer of ownership. You build it, it's already yours. No transfer, no markings, no registration, whether it's considered regulated or not.

Now, if you are worried about the possible implications of new legislation... then yes you'd need to get it engraved per Fed requirements. MSP doesn't care who the manufacturer was, as long as there is a name, location, and serial on it for purposes of record keeping.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Just to be clear, there is NO requirement to voluntarily register a home-built firearm. MD is only concerned with transfer of ownership. You build it, it's already yours. No transfer, no markings, no registration, whether it's considered regulated or not.

Now, if you are worried about the possible implications of new legislation... then yes you'd need to get it engraved per Fed requirements. MSP doesn't care who the manufacturer was, as long as there is a name, location, and serial on it for purposes of record keeping.

Cool. Now if the time comes when I need to register it are they going to ask me why it's currently not registered?

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    my understanding is no firearms get registered. the msp process is a backround check and "cooling off" period. not a registration. the process is for transfers only. you are not registering anything. worrying about 281 is not very productive because no one knows what the law will require until it is passed.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    Cool. Now if the time comes when I need to register it are they going to ask me why it's currently not registered?

It's a home built firearms in the first place. It was an 80% that you finished. When time comes they require it to be registered then it goes under the classification of home built. 80% is legal and classified as regulated when finished. Regulated as per Federal law, means home built you cannot sell it, you cannot transfer it, it's for your personal use, it doesn't require markings but recommended just in case it get stolen. And most of all, you fall under the requirement that you are legal citizen to own a firearms...

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    Register what? The AR-15 you built and then lost in that tragic boating accident a month later? :-D
    Exactly, nobody knows unless you voluntarily say you built one and willingly and heartfully complying to register it...
    It's like building your'e extra bathroom in the basement without permit.
    Making a bunker in your basement without permit... and so on...lol:lol2::lol2::lol2:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Does anyone know what you need or what the process is to voluntarily register a lower you competed from 80%?

For instance, if I have a company engrave a serial number and name into my lower, is the MSP going to ask me where it came from when I go to register it?

The State Police can be woefully ignorant of gun laws. I remember going to the College Park barrack to transfer a stripped AR lower. The desk trooper said "oh that's not a gun you don't have to register it". It took a few minutes of arguing until another trooper stepped in and helped out.

I doubt they would be interested in the origin of the rifle, let alone that it came from an 80% receiver - if they could recognize it.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The State Police can be woefully ignorant of gun laws. I remember going to the College Park barrack to transfer a stripped AR lower. The desk trooper said "oh that's not a gun you don't have to register it". It took a few minutes of arguing until another trooper stepped in and helped out.

I doubt they would be interested in the origin of the rifle, let alone that it came from an 80% receiver - if they could recognize it.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB
    Isn't that the truth. I had to bring a copy of the actual law and read it to a state trooper (respectfully and humbly of course).

joe_crash

Nov 14, 2013
    Homebuilt guns

I've seen a lot of 80 percent receivers for various types of firearms, 1911, AK47,AR15,etc. Has anyone made one and have any advise? According to ATF producing your own firearms is legal so long as you never transfer them.

That's true - if a receiver is an 80% finished receiver, you can go ahead and make your own firearm as long as you never transfer it. You don't even need a serial # on it, though I'd recommend stamping your name or something else that identifies you on the inside of the frame in case it's ever lost or stolen.

As far as how hard is it to make an 80% receiver into a functioning firearm? Pretty hard. If you get a lower receiver for an AR-15 (which, by the way, if it's an 80% you do not need a background check, but if it's a stripped lower, you most certainly do - the ATF considers the stripped lower (no fire control group, etc) to be the actual firearm. ) it will need extensive milling, and precise drilling. You can get a pretty nice polymer frame for a 1911, or AR-15, and jigs to make sure your cuts and holes are drilled properly. I'd say a polymer AR-15 to be the easier of the two, because you can do your milling on a drill press. AK's are fairly hard - the receiver is stamped and bent sheet metal, with no holes, and no rails. You can buy a pre bent one for less than $40, but you'd still have a ton of work to do, such as spot welding the rails, seating the trunnion and barrel into the trunnion, etc.

Go to ar15.com to check out homebuilt guns. Lots of great info.

That's true - if a receiver is an 80% finished receiver, you can go ahead and make your own firearm as long as you never transfer it. You don't even need a serial # on it, though I'd recommend stamping your name or something else that identifies you on the inside of the frame in case it's ever lost or stolen.

As far as how hard is it to make an 80% receiver into a functioning firearm? Pretty hard. If you get a lower receiver for an AR-15 (which, by the way, if it's an 80% you do not need a background check, but if it's a stripped lower, you most certainly do - the ATF considers the stripped lower (no fire control group, etc) to be the actual firearm. ) it will need extensive milling, and precise drilling. You can get a pretty nice polymer frame for a 1911, or AR-15, and jigs to make sure your cuts and holes are drilled properly. I'd say a polymer AR-15 to be the easier of the two, because you can do your milling on a drill press. AK's are fairly hard - the receiver is stamped and bent sheet metal, with no holes, and no rails. You can buy a pre bent one for less than $40, but you'd still have a ton of work to do, such as spot welding the rails, seating the trunnion and barrel into the trunnion, etc.

Go to ar15.com to check out homebuilt guns. Lots of great info.

Yep,just can't build a banned weapon in Md. after 10/1/13.

joe_crash

Nov 14, 2013
    It's a home built firearms in the first place. It was an 80% that you finished. When time comes they require it to be registered then it goes under the classification of home built. 80% is legal and classified as regulated when finished. Regulated as per Federal law, means home built you cannot sell it, you cannot transfer it, it's for your personal use, it doesn't require markings but recommended just in case it get stolen. And most of all, you fall under the requirement that you are legal citizen to own a firearms...

I'd say this is incorrect info. You do NOT have to "register" a home built gun!! And when you say "register" what exactly are you talking about? I've been shooting over 20 yrs, have many, many 1911's, and several AR-15's I've built. When people say "register" - WTF? Are you refering to if you bought a pistol in a gun shop and underwent a background check? How do you propose to "register" guns sold "over the fence" or backyard buys (it's totally legal to sell a firearm to someone, unless you know he's a felon, underage, etc) or at gun shows?

I'm with the guy who said "register what?" - what the federal govt and atf don't know, won't hurt you.

Last edited:

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Oh - you definitely can build one - but it would be illegal thanks to SB281.

Yep,just can't build a banned weapon in Md. after 10/1/13.

Joe. We don't advocate breaking the law here. And it is explicitly illegal to sell handguns to people without the MSP as an intermediary here in Maryland. Long arms are a different story; you can do over-the-fence deals with them. But banned guns. You are stuck with those until they start confiscating them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom