• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Posted on the Beretta forum by Bill Wilson

I did a survey of some of the most experienced shooters/trainers I personally know and here is the question I asked them all.

Assuming you had to buy your own pistol and ammunition (type of your choice) for combined self-defense and self-defense range training use, which caliber would you choose, 9x19mm Parabellum, .357 Sig, .38 super, .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP ?

I surveyed the following and their answer:

BJ Norris 9mm
    Bill Rogers 9mm
    Bill Wilson 9mm
    David Bahde 9mm
    Ernest Langdon 9mm
    Frank Proctor 9mm
    Ken Hackathorn 9mm
    Larry Vickers 9mm
    Mike Seeklander 9mm
    Paul Markel 9mm
    Paul Howe 9mm
    Paul Buffoni 9mm
    Rob Haught 9mm
    Rob Leatham .40
    Super Dave Harrington 9mm

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=118142

Interesting coming from hard core .45 ACP shooters( my comment) More interesting 9MM 1911 posts on 1911addicts.com.
    It seems the 9MM is getting more and more popular in that platform. And used more and more by the old die hard .45ACP guys. IMO it sure is a pleasure to shoot in my PM9.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    This "poll" has been out for a while now, and I didn't find it surprising at all.

You can add Travis Haley, Jason Falla, Jeff Gonzales, & Mike Pannone. You can probably also add Steve Fisher, though he still shoots some .45. And there are more......

Paul Howe was on the .357Sig bandwagon for a long time, but by his own admission only because he literally got a truckload if it for cheap. He was selling his .357Sig pistols to my classmates! He's now all Glock 9mm except for the 1911 given to him by his father-in-law. And if you know who that was, you'd understand why he won't sell it.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    This "poll" has been out for a while now, and I didn't find it surprising at all.

You can add Travis Haley, Jason Falla, Jeff Gonzales, & Mike Pannone. You can probably also add Steve Fisher, though he still shoots some .45. And there are more......

Paul Howe was on the .357Sig bandwagon for a long time, but by his own admission only because he literally got a truckload if it for cheap. He was selling his .357Sig pistols to my classmates! He's now all Glock 9mm except for the 1911 given to him by his father-in-law. And if you know who that was, you'd understand why he won't sell it.

I'd have it framed and mounted...except it would be really cool to shoot sometimes! :D You schedule any return trips to CSAT yet? I'll be there in two months. Can't wait!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Notice the question starts with "Assuming you had to buy your own pistol and ammunition (type of your choice) for combined self-defense and self-defense range training use", not "What would you prefer to use, if budget wasn't limited". 9mm is, per round, cheaper than all of the mentioned calibers. All of the other calibers require more materials to produce than the 9mm, so they cost more.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    It's not the cartridge that makes it auto.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/firearms/magnum-research-desert-eagle-357-magnum-black.asp

That's like when the MDGA talks about "ammo for a pistol".

I've seen enough of these point-blank shootouts where no one hits a damn thing. Whoever runs out of boolits first...loses. 9mm = more ammo in the mag.

Also can get a much more compact/concealable firearm. And less weight per round. And less recoil for better follow-up shots. Etc, etc...

There's some merit to the "bigger hole" argument, but the way modern 9mm JHP opens up, is it really worth sacrificing the 9mm advantages for a bigger hole?

expansion_of_bullets.jpg

Now if you were stuck with ball ammo...might be a different story.

I know. I'm just an 8 round N-frame fanboy. I really don't disagree with the 9mm consensus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'd have it framed and mounted...except it would be really cool to shoot sometimes! :D You schedule any return trips to CSAT yet? I'll be there in two months. Can't wait!

Negative. If i go back this year, it won't be til Fall. Hitting some classes a little closer this year.

Are you flying or driving?

Funny thing about Paul selling his pistols was when one of the South Houston PD guys bought one, he said he's gonna ditch his usual duty gun (Colt 1911) and carry the .357Sig Glock. Why? If confronted by 3 bad guys, he can shoot just one round and, because it's "Paul Howe's gun", they'll all drop!

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Negative. If i go back this year, it won't be til Fall. Hitting some classes a little closer this year.

Are you flying or driving?

Funny thing about Paul selling his pistols was when one of the South Houston PD guys bought one, he said he's gonna ditch his usual duty gun (Colt 1911) and carry the .357Sig Glock. Why? If confronted by 3 bad guys, he can shoot just one round and, because it's "Paul Howe's gun", they'll all drop!

Definitely flying. Was going to PM you for travel tips. Looks like Houston is the closest airport. They have an 8:35PM leaving Sunday but not sure I'd make that flight. I'm going to check with them to see what time the class wraps up on Sunday.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Definitely flying. Was going to PM you for travel tips. Looks like Houston is the closest airport. They have an 8:35PM leaving Sunday but not sure I'd make that flight. I'm going to check with them to see what time the class wraps up on Sunday.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my off MDS contact info.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Just have both 9mmm & 45 ACP...with so many choices of platforms, variety is good...though factoring the comment of Self Defense and Training, 9mm wins over cost and quantity for effect...

But IMO and accurately placed shot makes all the difference...

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The question was worded wrong.

It should have been...

"If you are being robbed at gun point... and you know the robber is going to shoot at you... Which round would you rather know that the robber is using?"

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Just have both 9mmm & 45 ACP...with so many choices of platforms, variety is good...though factoring the comment of Self Defense and Training, 9mm wins over cost and quantity for effect...

But IMO and accurately placed shot makes all the difference...

This^^^^^ A well place .22 is better than seven misses with a .45.

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    My take away from that list based upon how the question was worded is that all but one will chose the most affordable option if they had to buy their own ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom