• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weldingshop

Jan 24, 2009
    What's the prefered case? A hard plastic, metal, or canvas nylon case. for a 15. 40" with scopeage. or just rifle in general.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    depends what you are doing...if its a scoped weapon then I would get a hard case...if you might go hunting in a different state and fly you need a hard case that has two locks on it so you can check it as baggage at the airport...I would however suggest NOT something like this if you are traveling with it http://www.exploreproducts.com/media/winchester-wgs-7708-rifle-gun-case-lg.jpg as mine like this got trashed the last time I flew..the gun was ok but the case didnt make it..if you just have a shotgun and want to take it to the range I would use a soft case...

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I use both metal and soft cases. The metal one is mainly for my expensive rifles or if I want to bring more than 3 at a time. If you plan to haul in a pickup bed go with the hard case.

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    I like the hard cases for two reasons;

1) They're easy to "lock-up" for transport, security, etc.
    2) They're definately going to protect your rifle.

But the soft cases do have their advantages also...it's all in the "eye of the beholder" however.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I only have one soft case, an NRA one I picked up for like $19.95, but I never use it. I use the hard Plano cases for travel, but otherwise they're stored empty. The guns are in the safe when not used. BTW, I picked up a cheap Plano double case at Dick's over the weekend for $35.95. It's good for transporting a couple rifles to the range, but I wouldn't put them in a cargo hold.

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    This reminds me of when the idiots at BWI put my shotgun out on the line with the rest of the luggage. I went to claim it at their little office where firearms are supposed to go to but they said they didn't have it. Despite doing all the required paperwork, them putting those firearm stickers on the case and the case clearly being a gun case they still put it out on the carousel with all the luggage. This was in 2004 also so its not like it was before 9/11. When I tried to file a complaint I found out that none of the agencies gave a rats ass.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Pelican Cases are the best... but the most $$$$
    If I ever fly with my long guns I wil have one for them. Untill than I just have the semi-hard (really its thin/soft plastic "hard" cases that are cheep. Great for storage, you can lock them and great for car/back of truck transport. I find them at wally world or gunshows for around $20 ec.
    I like soft sleves for storage only, and have a few as I do not have enough hard transport cases for my rifles so I swap out.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    This reminds me of when the idiots at BWI put my shotgun out on the line with the rest of the luggage. I went to claim it at their little office where firearms are supposed to go to but they said they didn't have it. Despite doing all the required paperwork, them putting those firearm stickers on the case and the case clearly being a gun case they still put it out on the carousel with all the luggage. This was in 2004 also so its not like it was before 9/11. When I tried to file a complaint I found out that none of the agencies gave a rats ass.

You NEVER put the sticker on the case. EVER! It is acceptible to go inside the case. Putting that sticker on will usually get your firearm stolen.

weldingshop

Jan 24, 2009
    I do alot of work at the airport............I would UPS/FedX for a reason. I also do alot of work in resturant kitchens.....I don't eat out either.

Soft case, I think I'm going with a cheapo military style green canvas deal. A hard case seems like it will be another thing laying around the house.......I just want to use it to transport to the range, so the man and range rats don't give me the evil eye.

Although the last time at the HapyBakery I walked in with it slung over the shoulder.....nothing, not peep.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I use padded nylon cases for all of my long arms.

The guns (in their cases), go in my safe too, so they are for storage as well as transport.

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    You NEVER put the sticker on the case. EVER! It is acceptible to go inside the case. Putting that sticker on will usually get your firearm stolen.

When I checked it in CA they were the ones who put the firearm sticker/label on the outside of the case not me. Needless to say that was the last time I ever did that.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I like the hard metal cases, because the airlines will allow you to transport your firearms with them. I dont know if they would let you use a padded case.

weldingshop

Jan 24, 2009
    I bought a Veitnam era Canvas M16 carrying bag, shoulder straps like a back pack. It apparently folds out to a 55" area you can lay/sit on. poches, OD Green.

$19. big ones. My price and style.

Give me 5 days it should be here, i'll post some pic's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom