• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    A S&W Model 10-5 with some rust is looking for a good placed to get blued. See attached pictures.

I called one place in the Yellow Pages and they wanted something like $250 :tdown: An eBay store in NY will do a whole rifle for about $100 but is not licensed for handguns.

Is there a good place in the DC area, price and quality wise, or a good kit for rust removal, cleaning, and blueing? I'm looking into this for a relative. Thanks.

Last edited:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Yikes.....I'm not sure there's a cosmetic fix for that. Looks like there's some serious pitting.

Try Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie. Sorry I don't have the info handy, but do a search here for "Scott's Gunsmithig"....There was a thread not too long ago that had the info.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Stop further damage.

1. Unload the revolver.
    2. Remove the grips.
    3. Immerse in a container of K1 (a shot of WD40 in the K1 will help)
    4. Continue to read the replies as they are posted! :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Some people on Surplusrifle had good luck with Blue Wonder but it's strictly a do it yourself solution that requires heating the metal with a propane torch.

In your case you are also going to have to get rid of all of the original bluing and buff out the pitted areas.

Lou says on his webpage that he does bluing. I don't know how much he charges and he's got some health issues right now but you could call and ask him:

http;//www.coolshooting.net

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    You could user Naval Jelly. I used on my Dad's old .22. Not only did is dissolve the rust, but it also removed most of the bluing. I used the cold bluing stuff, but it turned out really nice for my first time. :D

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Some people on Surplusrifle had good luck with Blue Wonder but it's strictly a do it yourself solution that requires heating the metal with a propane torch.

In your case you are also going to have to get rid of all of the original bluing and buff out the pitted areas.

Lou says on his webpage that he does bluing. I don't know how much he charges and he's got some health issues right now but you could call and ask him:

http;//www.coolshooting.net
    Not sure about the bluing, but one time over the phone I asked him how much it would cost to chrome the bore of a barrel and I was shocked with the reply. Lou is very fair with his prices IMO. :thumbsup:

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    I decided to go on the cheap w/ the Blue Wonder touch up kit ($12.52 on eBay). I did email Lou some pics and talked to him on the phone -- he recommended cleaning without blueing for $50.
    Thanks for your inputs. I'll post some pics of the revolver after I finish w/ the Blue Wonder touch up kit.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    It didn't turn out well :sad20: I used 0000 fine steel wool and propane torch per instructions. See before and after pics below.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom