• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    This is an email that I got today and was given permission to post in hopes that it help explain how to get into matches at AAF&G.

Shooters,

1) There have been some posts recently on the Maryland Shooters Web Site about the difficulty in getting into AAFG IDPA matches that might give the impression AAFG IDPA was some sort of small, exclusive club.

Although I do not pay any attention to such comments, and I know Dave and Allen do not pay any attention to such comments, my dog - Marlowe - was troubled by these comments and he thought I should clarify a couple of things for our shooters so they might know how to respond if questioned by others. Most of this has been said before but as new people join all the time, repetition sometimes may be helpful.

In terms of number of shooters run per year, AAFG IDPA consistently runs more shooters than most clubs despite our externally imposed restricted shooting hours. Those interested can go to the NEPAIDPA web site at http://www.nepaidpascores.net/ and see a comparison -- for 22 IDPA clubs -- of shooters run this year, and by year for past years. The charts are self explanatory.

2) It is true that AAFG IDPA Saturday matches fill up quickly. Most IDPA clubs shoot 4-5 stages per match (one local Virginia club generally shoots only 3 stages). In contrast, AAFG IDPA routinely shoot 8-9 stages. This might have something to do with why matches usually fill up quickly. AAFG IDPA Friday matches don't have restricted hours and thus can accommodate more shooters. Usually, a Friday match can handle anyone who wants to come.

3) For a new shooter, is a Friday or Saturday match better? Friday matches are much better for new shooters because the pace of the match is slower so there is more time to work with newer shooters to make them comfortable.

4) Does one have to shoot a classifier match as their first match? This is often misunderstood. People who want to shoot often wait for a classifier and then want to sign up for the classifier as their first match. It is the other way around. It is preferred that a shooter shoot a couple of regular matches before shooting the classifier. This may sound counter-intuitive but there are good reasons for this (that would take up too much space to explain here).

5) AAFG IDPA gives safety officers priority at sign up. Various clubs have from time to time had to cancel matches because they did not have enough Safety Officers. AAFG has never had to cancel a match because of lack of safety officers. After safety officers, sign up priority goes to AAFG club members. After that, all others.

6) So what can a shooter do to enhance his/her chances of getting a slot at a Saturday match? Take an IDPA Safety Officer class. Our club president, Dave Cloutier, gives the class periodically, and he gives an excellent class. Moreover, it is a useful class regardless of one's current skill level. Or, you might want to join the AAFG club. Membership information is on the club web site at http://www.aafg.org/ .

7) How does one get on the AAFG signup list? Obviously, if you are reading this, you were able to do it. One goes to the appropriate page on the AAFGIDPA web site and follows the instructions carefully. http://aafgidpa.com/admin/match_admin.html If one does not follow the instructions carefully, he/she likely will be ignored. One might argue that ignoring people who fail to follow the instructions is not user friendly. My guess is that our club president would take the position that, given the nature of the sport, being able to follow instructions is significant.

8) Has one thought of ways to discourage people from attending Saturday matches so as to free up slots for new people? As you know, AAFG IDPA staff make people show up early to set up, yell at anyone who does not help paste, and make people stay after to put things away and clean up brass. It hasn't helped. The shooters just keep coming back in ever increasing numbers.

9) NOTE; The opinions expressed above are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone in authority at AAFG.

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I have read all the directions, but the link from my computer is broken to contact the announcement group, and I'm fairly tech savvy and can't figure it out... Could you PM me the address?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom