• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    November 10, 2007
    I haven't even looked at my scores because I know I was sucking bad on Saturday. But there they are, in my In Box, calling me... so I had to break them out and go over it again, and thought I would share.

I started the rotation on stage 4, where at slide lock I lost track of which targets I had engaged. I put a nice double tap to the head of an already down target, and failed to neutralize another. With the FTN and the misses, I scored 32.51. The worse score on the score sheet... Go me!

Stage 5 was no better. On my last shot the round didn't go all the way in the battery, Failing to dignose the issue, I pulled the slide back instead of knocking it forward, so I just took the miss. 20.07 final, which wasn't too too bad, but a 12 to 15 would have been so much better.

Stage 1 was a blast. Well designed and fun! The scenario was your in a car, two approaching from your forward left, four on your forward right. From sitting with you gun in the box you had to lean out left and engage the first two, then lean right and fire through the hole in the 'windshield' and engage three - six. I was down four, but had a fair time and ended with a 20.84. I don't have a clue how the guys that scored in the 14-15 range did it. But I felt good about my score.

Stage 2 was another one where I sucked. Engage one target wile retreating to cover, then engage the other 3 targets. But the cover was at ~45 degrees, so as I was retreating, I saw the cover, side stepped and wound up with the cover in my face and unable to move. I was down 7, and scored a 17.97, not to bad, but not the 14 I should have been able to get.

Last, Stage 3 and the stupid bank window with bars. (In this case 2X4's) The first time I have encountered a stage and thought I would love to just skip it. My score on the stage showed it too. Wile nothing went wrong, I was slow and not shooting very well, and ended the stage with a 25.51.... blah.

My total for the match was 116.9 including the 50 total points down. Wile not the worse score, it wasn't anywhere near the top half, and not even close to the 80 or so I should be able to shoot.

Nothing to blame but my attitude towards the entire event. It was cold, and wet, and as the week went by I was looking less and less forward to the match. I generally try to get to “On Target” at least once a week, but money is very tight right now and ammo is expensive. I also tend to put on my holster and practice drawing and dry firing 100 times or so mid week… that didn’t happen either, just because I’m lazy.

Still, I had a good time. Stage 1 was a blast and I didn’t screw up! It was nice to see some old friends, including an old motorcycle buddy from another board! I just can’t wait for summer. Shooting in warm weather with shorts and a tee shirt is so much more fun than being cold and stiff.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Glad you enjoyed it, despite not performing to your hopes. I'm sure it was still a hoot!

I was there with my 7 year old son for a while. He really enjoyed watching the IDPA and bullseye match.....but then as we we re leaving we watched a group shooting trap....he thought that was awesome.

I'm definitely going to shoot an IDPA event soon....I'm having hand surgery next week so I probably won't get to shoot until the next Delmarva event on Jan 27th. :sad20:

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    I saw you there, sorry I didn't speak.
    Glad you brought your kid. One of the shooters was a first timmer that looked about 15 maybe. He was there with his dad... it looked like they where having a good time.

Buoyboy

Aug 19, 2007
    Deacon 51,

I was the guy SOing stage 1, which was my favorite too. You're scores will improve as time passes and the cold is going to continue. Pretty soon they'll light the stove so you'll have a place to warm your hands between CoF. As a New Englander, I am a fan of layering the clothing.

Of course, having your score right above Pete's in the scoresheet never makes you feel good about your shooting.

The bars are kind of intimidating the first time and you have to pick a good distance from the bars for maximum visibility of the targets.

Now that I have a real name to go with the forum username, I'll say Hi next match.

Buoyboy

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I saw you there, sorry I didn't speak.
    Glad you brought your kid. One of the shooters was a first timmer that looked about 15 maybe. He was there with his dad... it looked like they where having a good time.

Everybody was real friendly, especially to my son. Somebody even let him shoot their 10/22. My son commented on the teenager shooting IDPA....he thought it was cool that "kids" could do it too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom