• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I'm getting ready to make target stands for the Barnes range. The plans from AGC call for 1X2 wood. Are they talking regular 1 bys here, that are actually 3/4" X 1 1/2", or do I need to rip down something to get actual 1" X 2"?

Thanks,

MH

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    1 1/2 by 3/4 should be fine. The legs need to fit inside of pipes which I believe are 1 1/2 inside diameter.

I have built many out of ripped down 2 x 2s (nominal), but I always whittle the corners off the first 6 inches or so.

Take a whittling knife with you when you go to set up your stand, so you can give it a quick shave if need be.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    1 1/2 by 3/4 should be fine. The legs need to fit inside of pipes which I believe are 1 1/2 inside diameter.

I have built many out of ripped down 2 x 2s (nominal), but I always whittle the corners off the first 6 inches or so.

Take a whittling knife with you when you go to set up your stand, so you can give it a quick shave if need be.

Thank you. I was told to make some wedges to bring as well.

MH

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I use 1 1/2 pvc pipe to get frames high enough

The 1 1/2 pvc pipe fits snuggly into the pipes in the ground

I would bring something to trim your base if you are off a little

There are electrical outlet on the outside of the barns house

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I'm new to the AGC, and I've never actually shot there yet. To be honest, mostly because I'm still figuring out all the various rules, especially about the targets. I went through the orientation, but it was a lot to absorb all at once. I can't help but wonder why they don't just simplify and have fixed or moveable stands at all of the ranges, instead of "at this range you need bases, at this range cardboard, at this range stands, made to these specs, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it appears to be a nice range, and I'm sure that I'll get used to it, it's just a bit confusing is all.

Thanks for the advice and the tips, it's been a big help!

MH

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    You can not make everybody happy

having said that the acg is evolving and some of the ranges were built with one type of shooting in mind. They are opening up to new forms of shooting and trying to make due with what is there.

The RSO will be your best friend if you talk to them if you are not sure about something. They will go out of their way to make your trip to the range fun.
    But keep in mind they are there to keep things safe. RSO = Range Safety Officer.

Keep in mind there are 6 different ranges so mastering all the rules will take time.

If you have any more question about the AGC range join the AGC social group. Tball the moderator has one of the RSO's on speed dial and two of the RSO's are in his club.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

having said that the acg is evolving and some of the ranges were built with one type of shooting in mind. They are opening up to new forms of shooting and trying to make due with what is there.

The RSO will be your best friend if you talk to them if you are not sure about something. They will go out of their way to make your trip to the range fun.
    But keep in mind they are there to keep things safe. RSO = Range Safety Officer.

Keep in mind there are 6 different ranges so mastering all the rules will take time.

If you have any more question about the AGC range join the AGC social group. Tball the moderator has one of the RSO's on speed dial and two of the RSO's are in his club.

Great, thank you!

MH

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

If you have any more question about the AGC range join the AGC social group.

The RSOs at the AGC are great!

:thumbsup:

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    This! Nothing more annoying than having the target frame leaning forward or backward, or worse, flopping back and forth on a breezy day.

I don't know who made them but a few months back, there was a bucket of triangular wedges on the Barnes range. I asked the RSO if they were there only to use and he told me they were free and to take a set. Thanks to whoever made them! I put one wedge in the front of one leg and the other one in the back of the other leg and I'm good to go. The string was a nice touch so I don't have to go digging in my range back for both of them! :)

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The ones they make and sell at the Barnes range house break down into two pieces to easily fit into your car trunk.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    And the sale of the target frames benefits the Juniors programs at the AGC!

Well, hell, if I'd known that, I would have bought one there. I haven't gotten over to get the wood yet, maybe I'll just pick one of those up. I assume that I need to see an RSO to get one?

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom