• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I have an opportunity to barter/trade for a Hungarian AK. Other than checking for canted sights, anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    pre-ban or post ban? still a bit of difference in price.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Ask the trader: what made this a Hungarian AK? AMD63 or 65 version? Is the barrel US made? - what about rest of the parts: bolt/bolt carrier,gas tube,sights, stock? Who built this? What condition of the parts kit?

When you said Hungarian AK- I thought it was Hungarian built like SA85 or even AMD65 (TGI) on FEG receiver.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If the trade isnt an outright steal (risk factor) I would have the buyer accompany you to have headspace checked. Also ask if it is built on new or used parts, chrome lined or not.

If it was an SA85 (pre or post) I would have said no problem comrade.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Ask the trader: what made this a Hungarian AK? AMD63 or 65 version? Is the barrel US made? - what about rest of the parts: bolt/bolt carrier,gas tube,sights, stock? Who built this? What condition of the parts kit?

This. It isn't arsenal built, it's a kit on a US receiver. So who's the manufacturer? Even the name Century means *something*! Builds by private individuals can be exceptionally good, but also poor to the point of behind dangerous.

Look it over closely, check the barrel... if it's chrome lined it is probably imported which is a good thing. Check for parts fit and wear. Does it look like it's been shot a good bit since being built? That's also probably a good thing, but you still might want to consider consider having headspace checked.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    It is being explained to me as an SA-85. The Ewbanks receiver is what is making me question the rest of it. I know to check for the major stuff, parts fit, barrel, etc. We'll see, sometimes and idea gets kicked around, and one party backs out of it. hope it happens, but I'll only do a trade if its a good one.
    Thanks to all

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It is being explained to me as an SA-85. The Ewbanks receiver is what is making me question the rest of it. I know to check for the major stuff, parts fit, barrel, etc. We'll see, sometimes and idea gets kicked around, and one party backs out of it. hope it happens, but I'll only do a trade if its a good one.
    Thanks to all

Its not an SA85 unless it is a hungarian, I was going to ask if he was getting the importer and manufacturer mixed up, though to my understanding all SA85s were KBI Kasner imports. But I found your manufacturer (or more accurately remanufacturer) definately a parts gun, might still be ok.

http://ewbankak47.com/AK47_Rifles.php

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Its not an SA85 unless it is a hungarian, I was going to ask if he was getting the importer and manufacturer mixed up, though to my understanding all SA85s were KBI Kasner imports. But I found your manufacturer (or more accurately remanufacturer) definately a parts gun, might still be ok.

http://ewbankak47.com/AK47_Rifles.php

That is what makes me leery too, an SA-85 on a US receiver. Like you said, it still may be a good gun, but now I question a few things. We'll see

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Ewbanks receivers are generally considered good. Have not heard of them much lately though. The reason for this is probably Nodak Spud which is considered the best domestic AKM receiver manufacturer as of late.

U.S. parts guns can be good if made well. I have two and they are great, also built on NodakSpud receivers.

Does your AK in question have a bayonet lug, pistol grip, threaded barrel?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ewbanks receivers are generally considered good. Have not heard of them much lately though. The reason for this is probably Nodak Spud which is considered the best domestic AKM receiver manufacturer as of late.

U.S. parts guns can be good if made well. I have two and they are great, also built on NodakSpud receivers.

Does your AK in question have a bayonet lug, pistol grip, threaded barrel?

Scott I agree with you I wouldnt worry as long as it headspaces and everything is assembled well. Just many werent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom