• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I'm thinking about mounting a red dot on my AK. I had just planned to get a mount that attaches to the side of the receiver, the same way you would set up a scope.

But I have seen some rigs where guys are getting rail space set up forward of that, basically by changing out the cover over the gas tube, and then mounting a red dot way forward.

It seemed to me that would be too far forward and also it puts the weight out over the barrel where you wouldn't want it.

But there must be some advantage to it that I just am not grasping. Nobody would do it unless you also gain something - and that's the part I'm not getting.

So where are the rest of you AK guys mounting your non-magnified optics? If you mount forward by the handguard without using the optics mount on the side of the receiver, how come? Why do you like it out forward like that vs. back over the receiver?

I have already figured out that I don't want something that mounts to the dust cover. All those dust cover mounts look kind of sketchy to me. So it is really a choice between one of those handguard rail systems that puts the optic out over the gas tube or a more traditional AK optics mount that connects to the side of the receiver.

Educate me before I spend money.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I think the side mount would be the best option, So when you"re not using the Red Dot you could change to a scope easier. I like the side mount it keeps an AK looking like an AK As far as an advantage I would say like in the case of mine where I have no side mount this is what is needed to mount a RD Some others mounts are out there TWS makes a good one and some are mounted in place of the rear sight

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Ultimak adds pretty much no weight to your gun. A side rail adds substantial weight to your gun. So that's one in favor of the Ultimak solution.

Also worth noting is that by mounting forward, you reduce the probability that you'll get tunnel vision by looking through the optic.

In general, I don't like side mounts a lot, and only use them when I've got no other choice.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Im no AK expert but I like a rear sight mount for reflex sights/mini red dots. They allow for cowitness, allow for a cheek weld and don't add any real weight. The biggest problems with them for me is lack of quick disconnect. The cowitness helps but Id prefer to have it and a QD.

Attachments

• P1050349 (640x360).jpg
      P1050349 (640x360).jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 3,981

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Mounting an open sight like a Burris Fastfire forward on the gas tube allows for more reflexive aiming in close quarters. The idea is you keep both eyes open while aiming.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have been thinking about the same thing with my recently acquired SGL-21. I've done a lot of research and it appears as if the Ultimak is the best option. It allows for co-witness unlike the other handguard rail systems such as the Midwest Industries rail. It is also light since it is only a gas tube and gas tube cover rather than an entire hand guard.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Mount forward you get an absolute cowitness. Better peripheral vision. Weight over front keeps the muzzle rise down. The weight is added very near to where your hand placement is so lever mechanics is still good for side to side transitions.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ultimak with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 mounted directly in front of the rear sight is VERY nice.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom