• ...and so much more!
  • Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    SB 278
    Department of Legislative Services Maryland General Assembly 2006 Session
    FISCAL AND POLICY NOTE
    Senate Bill 278 (Chairman, Anne Arundel County Senators)
    Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs
    Anne Arundel County - Deer Hunting on Private Lands - Sundays
    This bill repeals the prohibition regarding deer hunting on private land in Anne Arundel County on Sundays.
    Fiscal Summary
    State Effect: Enforcement could be handled with existing budgeted resources.
    Revenues would not be materially affected.
    Local Effect: The bill would not materially affect Anne Arundel County finances or operations.
    Small Business Effect: Potential meaningful.
    Analysis
    Current Law: The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) establishes the open season to hunt forest and upland game birds and mammals by regulation each year. DNR may adopt regulations to enlarge, extend, restrict, or prohibit hunting wildlife. Except for specified persons and under specified conditions, hunting game birds or mammals on Sundays is prohibited. Chapter 170 of 2003 authorized DNR to allow for deer hunting on private property on two Sundays (the first Sunday of the bow hunting season in November, and the first Sunday of the deer firearms season). The Sunday hunting provisions do not apply in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's, Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester counties or in Baltimore City. There are three seasons to hunt deer in Maryland: (1) deer bow hunting season; (2) deer firearms season; and (3) deer muzzle loader season.
    Background: Because white-tailed deer thrive in habitat that is composed of woods and openings, and because hunter access in those areas is limited, recent suburban development has provided excellent deer habitat in the State, resulting in a significant increase in the deer population. The high population of deer has resulted in a marked increase in the number of human-deer conflicts, including deer-vehicle collisions, damage to crops and vegetation, and incidents of lyme disease. In addition, numerous research studies have documented negative ecological impacts on native vegetation and other species.
    According to DNR, regulated hunting continues to be the most effective and costefficient strategy to manage abundant wildlife populations, especially deer. DNR advises that because it has exhausted the other options available, Sunday deer hunting is the last remaining and most important tool that can be employed to increase hunter participation and deer harvest.
    According to DNR, the Sunday bow kill typically represents about 2 to 3% of the total bow kill for those counties where Sunday hunting is permitted; the Sunday firearms kill typically represents about 13% of the two-week firearms kill for those counties where Sunday hunting is permitted. DNR estimates that the bill could result in the harvest of an additional 150 to 200 deer.
    Small Business Effect: By providing for Sunday deer hunting in Anne Arundel County, the bill could result in an increase in revenues for small businesses. A 2001 report by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that Maryland deer hunting resulted in about $80 million in retail sales in the State, or $979 per deer harvested. The projected impact on the State's economy totaled $156 million, or $1,862 per deer harvested. In addition to businesses affected by hunting, the bill could also affect several other types of businesses. Most farms are small businesses. A 2001 survey by the Maryland Department of
    Agriculture found that farmers suffered crop losses of $13.6 million due to deer (or about $57 for each deer in the population). To the extent that the bill reduces crop damage, farmers would benefit. The bill could also affect vehicle owners and businesses involved in the repair of vehicles. In 2001, approximately 4,200 deer were reportedly killed by vehicles (or about one deer killed for every 57 deer in the population). Each deer-vehicle collision results in an average of $2,000 in collision damage. Property owners and businesses could also be affected to the extent that the bill reduces damage to ornamental shrubs and gardens.
    Additional Information
    Prior Introductions: HB 128 of 2005, an identical bill, passed the House with amendments. The bill was reported favorably from the Senate Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs Committee but was recommitted to the committee, and no further action was taken.
    Cross File: HB 205 (Delegates Costa and Love) – Environmental Matters.
    Information Source(s): Department of Natural Resources, Anne Arundel County,
    Department of Legislative Services
    Fiscal Note History:
    ncs/hlb
    First Reader - January 27, 2006
    Analysis by: Lesley G. Cook Direct Inquiries to: (410) 946-5510 (301) 970-5510
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/SB0278.htm
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/bills/sb/sb0278f.pdf

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    novus collectus said:
    You didn't have Blue Laws in Georgia? It's a religious thing and I think the Puritans started it. In Maryland I think it was the Catholics that continued it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_laws
    This is the first that I've heard of this, and I'm Catholic. I'm actually not from Georgia, although I've been there numerous times on business. I came to MD from Arizona, and we had no such law there. I can see how this law would stand 200 years ago, but not in today’s day and age, as I'm sure the last thing the MD legislators are concerned with is keeping the Sabbath day holy.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    This is the first that I've heard of this, and I'm Catholic. I'm actually not from Georgia, although I've been there numerous times on business. I came to MD from Arizona, and we had no such law there. I can see how this law would stand 200 years ago, but not in today’s day and age, as I'm sure the last thing the MD legislators are concerned with is keeping the Sabbath day holy.
    You'd be surprised. Besides, they aren't so much concerned about keeping it holy, so much as keeping the appearance they are keeping it holy.

You came to MD from AZ? My gods man, why? :D

(By the way, I was just guessing about the Catholics since this used to be a Catholic state)

Last edited:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    novus collectus said:
    You'd be surprised. Besides, they aren't so much concerned about keeping it holy, so much as keeping the appearance they are keeping it holy.

You came to MD from AZ? My gods man, why? :D

(By the way, I was just guessing about the Catholics since this used to be a Catholic state)
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link. I learn something new everyday.

I really, really miss the AZ outdoors and the almost non-existent gun laws, but I don't miss the culture. I lived in Scottsdale (NE Phoenix), and it is basically just Los Angeles' little sister. A sea of red tile roofs, and the culture revolves around the shopping malls and what car you drive. I didn't want to raise my kids that way. But as I stated before, God only knows how much I miss the vast expanses of open forests, mountains, and desert. I remember going camping with my dad, and on the way to the mountains we would stop at a grocery store in metro-Phoenix and I would open carry my Ruger GP-100 .357 when I was 14 years old. If I think about it now, the amazing thing is that no one seemed to notice, or if they did it was just business as usual. In MD that would land my dad in prison and me in juvenile hall! :sad20:

You may be right about the Catholic thing. I've only been a Catholic for 3 years so there is much that I have to learn.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link. I learn something new everyday.

I really, really miss the AZ outdoors and the almost non-existent gun laws, but I don't miss the culture. I lived in Scottsdale (NE Phoenix), and it is basically just Los Angeles' little sister. A sea of red tile roofs, and the culture revolves around the shopping malls and what car you drive. I didn't want to raise my kids that way. But as I stated before, God only knows how much I miss the vast expanses of open forests, mountains, and desert. I remember going camping with my dad, and on the way to the mountains we would stop at a grocery store in metro-Phoenix and I would open carry my Ruger GP-100 .357 when I was 14 years old. If I think about it now, the amazing thing is that no one seemed to notice, or if they did it was just business as usual. In MD that would land my dad in prison and me in juvenile hall! :sad20:

You may be right about the Catholic thing. I've only been a Catholic for 3 years so there is much that I have to learn.
    I was thinking about "historically Catholic" since there was a lot of political influence up until the 50s and 60s I think. Also, Maryland was founded by Catholics (Baltimore and Calverts, or something like that).

I can only imagine what the gun culture shock would be like. I only hear about the gun laws in Massachussetts and New York city and I get chills. In MA they need a license to own a pellet gun or even buy BBs for friggen sakes.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Blue laws or not.....now they'll fight against Sunday hunting tooth and nail becauuse....GASP!!! There's GUNS involved!!!

This shouldn't even be a state issue....it should be up to the county council.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom