• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Sorry for doing this, but I want to get a good summary and simple comparison between the available AR-10 clones. There are many threads out there but not a good summary and many are cluttered with the "best" issue.

This is not asking who is the best, more along the lines of Pros and Cons, parts availability and interchangeability, magazine options, etc. Maybe breaking them out as Low, Medium and High cost might be useful. The idea would be to have a good place to send people (like me) trying to gather knowledge on the 7.62 AR options.

Any help you can provide I would be grateful. Who am I missing?

Low Cost:

DPMS
    Remington(?)

Mid Cost:

Rock River
    Sig (?)

High Cost:

Palmetto

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I don't know much so this won't take long:

Sig Sauer 716:
    SR25 Platform ("DPMS") magazine (I use Magpul 20 Rnd 7.62 mags)
    Free floating barrel
    Gas Piston driven (4 position to allow for suppressed, faulty/bad conditions and single-shot)
    .308Win/7.62
    Quad rail
    Heavier than some @ 9.3lbs dry
    Standard BUIS included. They are not as precise as the rifle is.

Ambi Mag release
    Depending on what you buy, it comes with a Magpul ACS or Sig sauer stock.
    Military spec stocks will fit on the buffer tube

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Where did you get information that led you to believe Palmetto is "high cost"? Didn't they just release their line at the SHOT Show

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Not all DPMS are low cost either. The REPR sure isn't. Plusses to the REPR are full quad rail, Harris bipod, AAC flash suppressor, Krieger stainless Melonite barrel, ambi safety, ambi mag release, comes FDE, Magpul PRS stock.

verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    Core 30 - direct impingement, midlength gas system, billet upper and lower. Competition 2 stage trigger and 18" match barrel on high end model

POF - short stroke gas piston, billet upper and lower, awesome 4.5 single stage trigger, fluted barrel.

You want high end, Larue...

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    OP - To put together a really good comparison would require someone who has used most/all of the different platforms and can comment on each of them. Most posters here do not have that level of experience. I happen to own an Armalite AR10. I like it but since it's the only 308 semi auto rifle I have owned I really can't comment on the other brands from experience. Just what I hear on the interweb.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    OP - To put together a really good comparison would require someone who has used most/all of the different platforms and can comment on each of them. Most posters here do not have that level of experience. I happen to own an Armalite AR10. I like it but since it's the only 308 semi auto rifle I have owned I really can't comment on the other brands from experience. Just what I hear on the interweb.

True, that is why I am not asking for comparisons, but a comprehensive list. If you own one, put in your knowledge of what is good and bad, what can it do, what can it not do, what mags work, etc.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Personally, I'd get a lower and build your own. There is a guy that does 80% AR10 lowers and another guy who will let you use his CNC to finish it. Two separate people but something like that is worth it if you don't want the Government knowing you have it.

Not to mention, the lowers are Billet and they are sick looking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom