• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I want a larger gun for off body carry than what I have for IWB. I have a Gen 3 G19 that is my range / home defense gun and I love it. It feels comfortable in my hands, I’m accurate with it, I like the trigger pull, etc. It has the Austrian proof stamps and while I know most people don’t think it’s anything special I do treat it that way so I’m reluctant to put it in a holster and wear out the finish. Since I like my G19 I thought it would make sense to buy another to dedicate to off body carry.

If I did this should I buy another Gen 3 so that it is completely identical to what I’m familiar with? Should I get the newer Gen 5 which would require a slight learning curve? Or is it completely ridiculous to have two of the exact same model and should I consider something a little bit different like a G17 or G19x?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You do you.

You like the gun? Make a clone and carry it. Carry what you train with.

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    I have a gen3 19. It is also my nightstand gun. I love the gun, I shoot it well and often but I don't enjoy shooting it. It pinches my finger. I have a G45, if I wasn't so fat and concerned about printing, I would carry the G45 (same size as the 19x)

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I bought a gen 3 GLOCK 19 years ago. I gave it to my wife before laws changed in 2013 so she wouldn't need to do training in the future for another purchase.
    I missed my gun.
    I bought another gen 3 GLOCK 19 but ended up setting it up for IDPA CCP so I didn't want to carry it.
    I bought a 3rd gen 3 GLOCK 19 and carry it.
    It's hard to find a gun with a better power to weight ratio that has as much factory, and aftermarket support.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I AIWB a G19Gen5. I had a G19Gen4 (well, I still have it) but I wanted a red dot so I got the new one.

I visited another forum member here recently and he totally couldn't tell I was carrying it.

I bought a gen 3 GLOCK 19 years ago. I gave it to my wife before laws changed in 2013 so she wouldn't need to do training in the future for another purchase.
    I missed my gun.
    I bought another gen 3 GLOCK 19 but ended up setting it up for IDPA CCP so I didn't want to carry it.
    I bought a 3rd gen 3 GLOCK 19 and carry it.
    It's hard to find a gun with a better power to weight ratio that has as much factory, and aftermarket support.
    The most popular sidearm of mercenaries world wide. That's a pretty big endorsement in my opinion. I own a few. One is purple (yes, it's her bedside table gun)

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    If you like your current gen 3, get another one.

I love the G19.3 but I prefer the G19.5 slightly more because the different back straps let me dial in my fit. But since the gen 3 already works for you, then just get another.

Getting another gen 3
    Pros: All parts are interchangeable and you are right about no learning curve. It is a bit cheaper than then the gen 5 but you get 1 less magazine (2 vs 3). The aftermarket support is HUGE. If you are into customization, I would definitely stick with a gen 3 (IMHO).
    Con: You might one day feel like you are missing out on the slight changes. If your current gen 3 has the frying pan finish, you can't get that any more if you buy new. If you ever want to add a red dot optic, you will have to mill the slide.

Getting a gen 5
    Pros: This is just my opinion but the dual recoil spring lessens the recoil feel (for me). The newer trigger design feels a bit crisper (to me). The grip texture is slightly more aggressive texturing (out of the box). The nose of the slide is a bit rounded off (less square like the gen 3) if you like that look. If you want to put a red dot optic on it in the future, you can just get the MOS model.
    Cons: It will look and feel a bit different, no matter how small the differences. The aftermarket support is still catching up but I don't know if it will ever be as big as the support for gen3.

Based on your post, I think you will be happy with another gen 3.

Good luck.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I dunno what your hand size is, but if you like the 19, try the 19x or 45. It just is so much more comfortable and balanced. With a good holster that tucks the grip it will still conceal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The most popular sidearm of mercenaries world wide. That's a pretty big endorsement in my opinion. I own a few. One is purple (yes, it's her bedside table gun)

I doubt there are reliable statistics , but sure . good chance of being accurate .

But so what ? You could also point to very widespread use of Brand G by Military . LE . and various armed government types worldwide also .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It really is a damn fine carry gun. If you like it and you're comfortable with it, I would indeed just get another one and set it up the same way.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Nobody here will talk you out of another gun.

You can get a police trade-in G19 Gen 3 that will already have holster wear but a low round count. Then you can keep your clean one clean.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a gen3 19. It is also my nightstand gun. I love the gun, I shoot it well and often but I don't enjoy shooting it. It pinches my finger. I have a G45, if I wasn't so fat and concerned about printing, I would carry the G45 (same size as the 19x)
    Get a different trigger shoe. The Gen 3 G17/19 triggers texture pinches the crap out of my fingers too. So I only shoot them with gloves on, or else I'll get a blister after about 100 rounds.

The Glock smooth trigger shoe (I forget what models used it) doesn't pinch my finger. But, I just dropped PolyDAT trigger shoes on all of my Glocks. Works fantastic. Better trigger pull and no pinching.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It really is a damn fine carry gun. If you like it and you're comfortable with it, I would indeed just get another one and set it up the same way.
    Ditto.

If you like it, get another. In my life, my wife doesn't like guns. So every new gun is practically a fight. That said, I have more Glocks than sense (which I'll admit, might not take many). G19, 17, 21, 21L, 34. My G17 is my bedside in the handgun lockbox, gun light, mag in it, two spares. My G19 is my bigger carry gun (Cz50 smaller carry gun. And yes, I do want to eventually get a micro 9, or if Beretta would just remake the Cheetah in 32acp I'd get one of them. I don't want the new one in 380).

If this was not a case with my wife, I'd certainly just nab a second one of the same gun, set up exactly the same way. My G17 only passes this test, because the 17 and 19 tactically are basically identical for operation. And I have them setup with the exact same parts for the controls, trigger, sights, etc.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Not sure of your age (eyesight), but I think it is fine to get another G19, but I would suggest Gen 5 MOS. This way if you ever want to add a reflex sight your GTG.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Have you considered a Palmetto State Armory Dagger? It's a Gen 3 Glock 19 clone (they also make a G45 & G17 version).

I have the Dagger Full Size - S (Glock 45 clone) and love it. Great range toy. PSA runs killer deals, a massive amount of different slide colors/cuts/optic cuts/barrels/etc. As an example, mine is in tan, threaded barrel, optic cut for RMR, came with 3 mags, and a nice carrying case, I paid $389. I regularly see deals with like 10 magazines and carrying case for under $400.

B68B0049-E1BA-4384-97B0-FA5F152707B4.jpeg

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    Get a different trigger shoe. The Gen 3 G17/19 triggers texture pinches the crap out of my fingers too. So I only shoot them with gloves on, or else I'll get a blister after about 100 rounds.

The Glock smooth trigger shoe (I forget what models used it) doesn't pinch my finger. But, I just dropped PolyDAT trigger shoes on all of my Glocks. Works fantastic. Better trigger pull and no pinching.
    It's my pinky finger, the gap between the mag and the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom