• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I found this at a random gun shop in PA while browsing for other stuff online. I called the shop and they had 2 of them, I went with the one he described as having less original blue left and the gun slide "not locking". He knocked the price down to where I thought it would be a good project even if I had to spend a bit on some parts.
    I ordered it on Thursday of last week, and it arrived this past Wednesday. (BTW, Have I said lately how awesome it is to have a C&R FFL ? :D )
    Pics:

003s-2.jpg

This is how it came. It had some very light surface rust, the frame still had decent bluing, with a nice patina on the slide. The back strap and other heavily contacted areas were mostly bare.

I field-stripped it (found the spring and guide were in backwards), used some 0000 steel wool to lightly dry-clean the surface rust (most of it was under the grips and around the thumb safety lever), then gave it a good soaking with WD-40, cleaned the bore (which is in great shape with strong rifling), then used a synthetic spray cleaner to blow out all remaining WD-40 and rust, oiled and greased it where applicable, and reassembled it. I resisted the temptation of completely taking it apart based on the difficulty described in putting them back together. I will eventually do it, just not tonight.

Here are the "after" pics:

001Ls.jpg

002rs.jpg

004s-2.jpg

I ordered replacement springs from Wolff, as the recoil spring is all bent out of shape. I tried to take out the firing pin but after removing the detent plunger it would not freely come out, so I did not want to press it. If any of you have experience with these I'd love to pick your brain on that, as it has a 2-part firing pin that is unobtanium if broken.
    Anyway, I also was able to fix the non-locking thumb safety. It seemed that the safety lever was loose, and it just was swinging freely. After deep-cleaning and oiling it I was able to push it in to where it needed to seat and it now will hold the slide open by engaging the notch. I ran function tests to be sure it fires on snap caps and that both safeties (thumb and grip) work properly. The grip safety feels tight and follows without slack, so I don't think I'll be trying to replace the leaf spring anytime soon. I just don't think this gun was shot very much.

It's my 4th Colt, and after handling it for a couple of hours I brought one of its big siblings, my Colt 1927, out for comparison. It feels like a monster compared to this one, but the Browning lineage is unmistakeable.

005s.jpg

I'm very excited to finally land one of these, and can't wait to take it to the range.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If you're into old movies you'll spot the 1903 Pocket Hammerless quite often along with the 1903 Pocket Hammer. Seemed to be a favorite of prop masters. I remember Bogart plugging Edward G. Robinson with a pocket hammerless at the end of Key Largo.
    Looking at the SN yours was built in the early twenties (1923-1924). Good save!

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Nice, My neighbor has one in .380 that is in mint shape. I could of picked it up for the price of an old .22 revolver but I told him how much it was really worth. I did ask if he decides to sell let me have first crack at it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Nice looking Colt.

If anyone eles would like to add ont to their collection see the link in my sig line. I have one available for sale and arrangements can be made for a C&R holder to avoid the horrible MD transfer wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom