• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well here is Jo jo...We bought her for hunting shed antlers and hopefully deer tracking. I started her out with a trainer for a couple of throws and I gave her a real one I found recently to try and she seemed to prefer the real one over the fake one! So as her training comes along I'll post more pics. Shes a little over 9 weeks old now.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
      IMG_3441.JPG
      62.4 KB · Views: 468
    • IMG_3442.JPG
      IMG_3442.JPG
      90.8 KB · Views: 463
    • IMG_3444.JPG
      IMG_3444.JPG
      85.8 KB · Views: 474
    • IMG_3446.JPG
      IMG_3446.JPG
      55.4 KB · Views: 374

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Could you also explain some of the exact procedures you use--or perhaps refer us to a book? I'm going to get a hunting dog (or two) in the next year or so and plan to teach shed hunting and blood tracking. I'm thinking one dog for duck and upland bird hunting (weimaraner or lab), one dog for deer blood/shed hunting (tbd). Or maybe one dog for all.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Excellent Will. Keep us up on the training please?
    Some say it takes a year or so to get them to find them. So thats the goal...
    Could you also explain some of the exact procedures you use--or perhaps refer us to a book? I'm going to get a hunting dog (or two) in the next year or so and plan to teach shed hunting and blood tracking. I'm thinking one dog for duck and upland bird hunting (weimaraner or lab), one dog for deer blood/shed hunting (tbd). Or maybe one dog for all.

What Im reading its ok to teach the dog to be a bird dog/track deer and hunt sheds during the off season. It gives them something to do. just dont use the same commands for bird hunting as shed hunting etc. If you get a puppy its best to condition them with what they will be doing. IE bird wings, antler sheds when they are barely even walking. We did that with the breeder where we got Jo-jo so it seems like she's taking a good liking to sheds so far. just keep working with the dog.

the training antler is so the dog/puppy doesnt get scared when it goes to retrieve the antler the first time to find out its sharp and pointed. I literally threw the trainer 2-3 times and then went to the real shed.

Take small steps, Ive been getting her to retrieve her toys decent in the hallway then I started on the antler. I tell her "find the shed" and praise her when she brings it back. she does it a several times and then when she wants to start chewing on the shed and not bring it to me I gently take it away till the next day so she doesnt get accustomed to it. Right now its getting the shape and weight/feel of the antler ingrained in her mind. Later you are supposed to go for longer retrieves, hide the antler and let her use her nose to find it etc..so for now its just the beginning..:)

Theres a lot of info here...
    https://www.everythingsheddog.com/d...retreiving-kit-by-moore-outdoor-products.html

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for the response! This is such a cool activity. Keep us updated as the dog grows up.

Racer--I checked out that short wired haired pointer. I think you're right--it really does sound like an "all round hunter." Thanks for the tip.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I ended up getting a Drahthaar. I've been focusing on training her to hunt birds and search for ducks in the marsh but I've also been exposing her to antlers at home. She loves carrying around "her" antler and chewing on it a little.

I bought some of that scent goop that you can put on the antlers to make them smell new. Will use that to train her after hunting season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom