• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    DNR Reading Comprehension Alert for Region B.

For years, I've assumed that ONE Antlered Deer and ONE Bonus Antlered Deer meant you could kill a maximum of TWO Antlered Deer per year.

The DNR deer hunting guidelines keep using the words per season and per year. Knowing there is an Archery Season, a Muzzle Loading Season, and a Firearms Season, I gave DNR a call to put this to rest once and for all.

I was told: ONE Antlered Deer can be taken during each of the three separate seasons. So now we're at THREE antlered deer for the year.

Here is where the head scratching came in. Both on my part and the DNR's part. They had to huddle up to get the correct answer and I commend them for that.

I asked them if the same theory holds true for the Bonus Antler Stamp. As in: Can you get a Bonus Antler Stamp for each of the three seasons? The phone went silent for a bit and then I was asked to hold on.

The lady came back and said only ONE Antlered Bonus Stamp may be purchased during the year, but could be used in any of the three seasons. Just as long as two Antlerless deer were taken first. This is something I and everyone else already knows.

Soooo, a total of FOUR Antlered Deer can be taken in Region B.

If this is common knowledge to some, feel free to heckle, snicker, or kick me in the nuts. If this long winded explanation has been helpful, as it has been to me, finally, enjoy using the information to kill more Antlered Deer.

Much thanks to the very helpful DNR lady.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'll just heckle and snicker, but it is good info for the new guys and those who didn't know. Now I just wish I could get a good look at ONE shooter buck, let alone be able to burn my bonus stamp.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sounds right...

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/2015-2016-white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

Followed the deer link under the asterisk... And the bonus stamp is as follows.

Bonus Antlered Deer Stamps

A Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp is required by all license holders to take a second antlered white-tailed deer in Region B during one season of their choice (Archery, Muzzleloader, or Firearms). For example, a deer hunter must purchase a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp before attempting to take a second antlered deer with a firearm in Region B. An individual who purchases a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp but does not use it during a particular season may use that stamp during any subsequent season (Muzzleloader, Firearms, or Archery Season) in that hunting license year. Bonus Stamps are not required to take antlerless deer. Region B hunters are reminded that two antlerless deer must be taken in any combination of seasons in Region B before a second antlered deer can be taken with a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp. The Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp may not be used during the October segment of the Muzzleloader Season in Region B. Bonus Antlered Deer Stamps may not be used to take sika deer.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I agree that the DNR wording can be quite confusing for sure. By the time I read some of that crap I am more confused than when I started.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

For years, I've assumed that ONE Antlered Deer and ONE Bonus Antlered Deer meant you could kill a maximum of TWO Antlered Deer per year.

The DNR deer hunting guidelines keep using the words per season and per year. Knowing there is an Archery Season, a Muzzle Loading Season, and a Firearms Season, I gave DNR a call to put this to rest once and for all.

I was told: ONE Antlered Deer can be taken during each of the three separate seasons. So now we're at THREE antlered deer for the year.

Here is where the head scratching came in. Both on my part and the DNR's part. They had to huddle up to get the correct answer and I commend them for that.

I asked them if the same theory holds true for the Bonus Antler Stamp. As in: Can you get a Bonus Antler Stamp for each of the three seasons? The phone went silent for a bit and then I was asked to hold on.

The lady came back and said only ONE Antlered Bonus Stamp may be purchased during the year, but could be used in any of the three seasons. Just as long as two Antlerless deer were taken first. This is something I and everyone else already knows.

If this is common knowledge to some, feel free to heckle, snicker, or kick me in the nuts. If this long winded explanation has been helpful, as it has been to me, finally, enjoy using the information to kill more Antlered Deer.

That was my understanding as well Just had to have 2 does after one buck before shooting another buck.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I agree that the DNR wording can be quite confusing for sure. By the time I read some of that crap I am more confused than when I started.

The DNR lady was joking about needing a law degree to read and interpret their own regulations.

Kinda funny.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for calling and posting this. I have not had the good fortune to run into this problem yet, but I hope to one day so I'm glad I get it now.

No snickering here. I get paid to read and interpret regulations professionally and there is only one thing more confusing that the Maryland DNR deer hunting regulations: the Virginia county-by-county system.

There are so many better and simpler ways to present that information--which is not actually very complicated--in a way that could be understood by any sixth grader reading on grade level.

And call me biased, but I will NEVER understand why the region encompassing 80% of the state is called "B".

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Thanks for that. It used to be you COULD get an extra antlered deer in each season-bow, firearm, and muzzle loader and there were more than two regions. IIRC, there were four! Lets not forget the spike buck restriction now as well. You may not take more than two antlered deer with two points or less(fewer).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Thanks for that. It used to be you COULD get an extra antlered deer in each season-bow, firearm, and muzzle loader and there were more than two regions. IIRC, there were four! Lets not forget the spike buck restriction now as well.

That's another one.

Like we're going to run out and measure the spikes prior to running back to our blind to grab our gun so we can kill the damn thing.

They must have had nothing better to do when they came up with that regulation.

Then they moved on to FSA2013.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    That's another one.

Like we're going to run out and measure the spikes prior to running back to our blind to grab our gun so we can kill the damn thing.

They must have had nothing better to do when they came up with that regulation.

Then they moved on to FSA2013.

I'm pretty sure they are testing the waters for regs. emulating deer management to produce more trophy bucks for hunters, AKA "quality deer management".
    https://www.qdma.com/

As to your, OP, yeah there are plenty of ambiguously worded sections in the MD hunting regs. book. It is just plain unprofessional. They should really hire a professional in editing, law, plain language rules application, legal canons of construction, etc...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm pretty sure they are testing the waters for regs. emulating deer management to produce more trophy bucks for hunters, AKA "quality deer management".
    https://www.qdma.com/

As to your, OP, yeah there are plenty of ambiguously worded sections in the MD hunting regs. book. It is just plain unprofessional. They should really hire a professional in editing, law, plain language rules application, legal canons of construction, etc...

I can appreciate where you're coming from.

If they really want to do that, just institute a moratorium on hunting bucks for a few years. Alternate one year of buck hunting with a two or three year break in between.

Let the little ones grow up and develop.

But to expect a hunter to gage the size of a spike from 50 yards away and in the dark is just, plain, silliness.

Maybe someone can invent a scope with Spike Measuring Technology.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    But to expect a hunter to gage the size of a spike from 50 yards away and in the dark is just, plain, silliness.

Maybe someone can invent a scope with Spike Measuring Technology.

Try hunting during daylight and you can see those spikes at 50 yards. You know that you can still shot two spikes just as long as the other two bucks are over legal rack size limit.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Nah, they just want you to shoot does. Too many deer in central MD.

It's both...MD's got some huge bucks around, and there could be a market if that info got around more and there were of those deer around.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Try hunting during daylight and you can see those spikes at 50 yards. You know that you can still shot two spikes just as long as the other two bucks are over legal rack size limit.

Yeah, I think that is the point of the regulation. You can take an iffy buck, two of them even. After that, you better be damned sure it is a big boy. If you already bagged two spikes, then get out your binocs or wait till the light improves (if the light level is so low you can tell with your unaided eye at 50yds if it is a spike or has 4 or more points, then either you need glasses or else it isn't legal shooting light).

What makes me sad is you can't use the bonus stamp in region A. I get why some of that, but if I get my buck in region B for a season and get two does and region B, it seems silly I can't go to A and get a bonus buck in that season if I have gotten no bucks in region A (since the buck limits are for both regions combined, but the bonus stamp can only be used in region B).

I got a nice buck in region B in early muzzleloader and I'd like to go to Green Ridge for late muzzleloader, but I wouldn't be able to shoot a buck, even if I get two does in general firearm season back here in B before that. Oh well. Maybe Sika hunting in late muzzleloader instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom