• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are chemicals that will clean brass.

Of just soap and water.

What are you trying to do? get clean brass to relaod or nice shiny brass?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I hear rubbing 2 rocks together helps remove the big deposits... :D

Seriously though. There are a bunch of chemicals out there that will do the cleaning. You can use Dawn (or a dishsoap) to clean them.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    The other day I tried Rust, lime and calcium cleaner (Got it at dollar tree-green spray bottle) on some old brass that I was going to ditch. I was pretty suprised at how well it worked. I dumped the brass in a 1/2 gallon tub, sprayed it all around inside enough to cover everything and let it foam up a bit. I then put some water in, just enough to cover everything, and gave it a shake every 30-60 seconds. Rinsed several times, and dried in the oven on the lowest setting. Not bad for $2 and maybe 15 minutes work. As a word of caution, I have read other places that the active ingredient in this can remove the copper content from the brass and I believe it can weaken it by leaving it in too long (turns it a pink color). After 5 minutes or so - I saw none of that. The brass brightened up nicely and cleaned up a decent amount of the crap. I will definately clean this way again.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If your going the chemical route, make sure its ammonia free. Ammonia reacts with the copper in brass, and can imbrittle your cases.

You could use a sonic cleaner, but then you have to deal with getting the water out of the cases, and making sure they are completly dry.

The advice to invest in a tumbler is a sound one. That would be my first choice.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I just use the vinegar and water thing. Shake it around, let it set for a minute or two, shake it some more, wash it off, let it dry. Sometimes faster than the tumbler. If I use the tubmler I use Gel Gloss with some Simple Green and corn cob. Let it run for an hour and walk away.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I have always have use the Lee case length gauge and trimmer set up. If you are not familiar with this set up the brass cases are turned on a dill with a case holder and trimmed. Before I got a tumbler I would use a small piece of steel wool and allow the case to spin while holding the steel wool to the case after trimming. It worked well for me for several years.

Dec 31, 2012
    Might want to look into iosso case cleaner (an all liquid method/product).

I was looking at that on Midway today. If I ever decide to take that plunge ;) then I'll let you know how it goes.

I still think a vibratory/tumbler works fine despite leaving some carbon inside the cases.

Buy a tumbler, an electronic plug in timer, come corn cob & some liquid wax...

A media sifter makes the clean up easy after it's done...

It's the simplest & best way that I know of...

I'm at work now but left this ^^^ setup running at home for the next 2 hours.

Leaves some carbon inside but has always done a good enough job in my limited experience as well as in the extensive experience of many others.

It will be cheaper over it's lifetime than chemical cleaning, well except maybe just vinegar and water.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I found it (dollar store cleaner) shines up some - more brightens the metal, and eats up some of the carbon, but not all of it. I like that it's relatively quick and easy, and no primer pocket media issues. If you just want to "knock the big stuff off" I think it's the way to go. Pick up some old brass somewhere and give it a try. It's cheap thats for sure!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are you doing semi auto or bolt/revolver?

I ask cause I'm a newbie and I don't tumble all the time with the bolt Milsurps
    I will take a sock with some. Balistol and clean the neck and then neck size. Then clean out with pocket cleaner then use Q tip on pocket then reload

Soap and lemon in a Tupperware an shake gets a lot off the outside

Pistols I tumble and rifles every 3rd

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom