• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD
    Check the electric code in your county. When I did mine you had to use an OEM interlock panel cover to be in compliance. i.e. you had to use a Square D interlock cover on a Square D panel. The Interlock Kit wasn't to code. If you aren't concerned about code compliance then the Interlock Kit would be safe enough if installed correctly. IANAE

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    for now I can know 100 % that I will be the only one using the generator.

I want to run the refrigerator and freezer, lights and maybe tv and cable boxes.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If you do end up making a "suicide cord" to backfeed your house, I would recommend not actually making it until needed, and then dismantling it when finished using it.

Otherwise, you have an extension cord with 2 male ends, which if left lying around, may end up killing some unsuspecting kid or unknowledgeable adult.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    One other thing -

If you backfeed a house using a 120V outlet, or with a 120V-only generator, you will only be energizing one leg of your house's circuitry. If the devices you need to run are on 2 different legs, only those devices on the same leg that you're backfeeding will have any power.

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    Safely for you or for the linemen?

if you don't open main breaker you can feed 220v through your service and back to transformer and the transformer will take the 220v and produce up to 7,620v. some linemen take things for grated and if he is assuming the equipment is de-engized he could make unprotected contact with high voltage.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    If you do end up making a "suicide cord" to backfeed your house, I would recommend not actually making it until needed, and then dismantling it when finished using it.

Otherwise, you have an extension cord with 2 male ends, which if left lying around, may end up killing some unsuspecting kid or unknowledgeable adult.

^^^^This, and connect the 'house side' of the suicide cord, FIRST, then connect to generator after starting it.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    if you don't open main breaker you can feed 220v through your service and back to transformer and the transformer will take the 220v and produce up to 7,620v. some linemen take things for grated and if he is assuming the equipment is de-engized he could make unprotected contact with high voltage.

I highly doubt you'd find anyone working as a lineman these days in relation to the bolded part. The amount of training, and safety they go through.

We all realize shit happens but the other more real absent minded danger is Joe Citizen handling a downed wire while Bubba back feeds with his generator.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    Another thing to look at is the neutral form the generator.

If the generator neutral is grounded then the generator can only be used with a transfer switch that transfers the neutral (if you go the route of a transfer switch). According to the NEC, "An alternate ac power source such as an on-site generator is not a separately derived system if the neutral is solidly interconnected to a service-supplied system neutral." Look at Section 250.30 for grounding of separately derived systems.

If they aren't interconnected, they need two separate grounds.

Fig%202.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom