• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore
    Every refence I see aboutthe "Israeli method" begins with racking a round at presentation. Seems to add about a second to battery.
    They know a little about guns.
    What are the pros and cons?
    Your practice?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Cons? Death by being late to your own shootout.

My practice? Always one in the chamber.
    Why? Because I can’t put two in the chamber.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    62b4802ba91bed522268ca0d3017ed94bae6c0db.jpeg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Hello and welcome to the board. I can tell you that we toss this around every few months and it's universally considered a bad idea.

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    One in the chamber. I don't fault anyone for feeling uneasy about that though. Weigh the risk for yourself.

I carried a dummy round/snap cap in mine for a month before I felt comfortable.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Watch this video and tell us how many seconds head start you’re willing to give to an assailant? Thankfully this couple didn’t get shot, as this dickhead apparently wasn’t intent on murdering anyone that day. THAT DAY.

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    When I first started carrying my P365 (first striker fired handgun) I carried an empty chamber and practiced my draw stroke, racking it, and putting rounds on target. About 1 time in 20 or so I would fail to rack the slide with enough force and get a jam that would result in a tap/rack recovery. I decided that was not reliable enough for me to respond. I swapped out the grip module for a Wilson Combat version that had the cutout for a manual safety and installed the manual safety parts from Sig.

Yeah, I know that opens up a whole 'nuther debate about manual safeties but for me it was a solution that left me feeling safe carrying one in the chamber. For perspective, I'm a life long 1911 owner so my muscle memory is to take the safety off as my finger is going on the trigger and is nothing I ever have to think about. I continue to practice my draw stroke at home with snap caps with my P365/manual safety firearm.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    One of the reasons I cofounded a blog was so I wouldn't have to type up new answers to the same old questions:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I get safety is paramount...but carrying with an empty chamber is effectively not carrying at all. If you're not carrying with a loaded chamber you should stick to a double-action revolver.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Every refence I see aboutthe "Israeli method" begins with racking a round at presentation. Seems to add about a second to battery.

They know a little about guns.

Nope... the prevailing theory is that the Israeli carry method was adopted by Israeli forces early on because they didn't know enough about the guns they were going to carry.

Specifically, in the early days Israeli forces carried whatever they could get... revolvers, 1911's, Lugers, High Powers, etc. Empty chamber was a response to needing to train a standard carry method for a variety of firearm types. A catch-all solution to non standard and in some cases worn out surplus firearms.

What are the pros and cons?
    Your practice?

In addition to all of the comments about time, you have to consider that you may be warding off an attacker with one hand while drawing with the other. How will you chamber a round?

The first theory is that they adopted this technique for safety reasons. For the first few years of the IDF’s existence, its equipment was mainly cast-off equipment from both sides of WWII. This led to the IDF having to integrate a wide variety of pistols into service. This, in turn, led to having to train troops how to use different pistols. These pistols may not always employ the same method of operation. Instructors believed standardizing on Condition Three carry was one way for the IDF to eliminate the confusion of training for various safeties and firearms functionality.

The second theory behind the origin of Israeli carry is related to the guns that the IDF inherited from the combatants of WWII. For the first few years of its existence, the IDF did not have state of the art equipment. Rather, it used the gear that everyone else had declared surplus, and some of it was probably in questionable condition. If you’re not sure that the safety on your pistol actually works, (and there are no other pistols to be had at that moment), Condition Three carry makes a lot of sense. The theory is that the IDF started out with Condition Three carry for safety’s sake. Now, bureaucratic inertia keeps it going to this day.

After researching for this article, I think there might be a third reason why Israeli carry came to be. I mentioned Skyes and Fairbairn’s ground-breaking work with the Shanghai police force. However, their work during World War II also had a lasting impression on firearms training. Their ideas and training methodology were used by the Allies’ elite commando groups, so much so that the fighting knife they designed, the Sykes-Fairbairn dagger, has become the symbol of elite units on both sides of the Atlantic. Their training included the idea that they carry a semi-automatic pistol in Condition Three. Experts considered this the best training available at the time. As such, it made sense that the newly-formed nation of Israel would look to their techniques to form the basis of their new military. They continue to teach many of those techniques to this day.

These are out-of-date techniques that, quite frankly, we shouldn’t use anymore.

Last edited:

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    Any handgun that can not be safely carried chambered is not a carry handgun.

Me. Chambered, no thumb safety.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom